Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DiskWarrior Question

I've posted about my iBook problems in another thread http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1005397&tstart=0

I basically can't fully boot, Disk Repair from install disks gets me "underlying task reported failure on exit" message; fsck is getting me "keys out of order" error. I'm trying to preserve my data and avoid a clean reinstall.

I thought DiskWarrior would be my next option, but Apple store person said it's useless if I can't fully boot my computer. Is this true?

iBook G4 14 1.33GHz 768 RAM

Posted on Jun 21, 2007 1:39 PM

4 replies

Jun 21, 2007 2:35 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thanks Texas Mac Man.

CD is working, but an install disk is in there now. Is there a way I can eject it without doing a regular boot up? Each time I boot up, it fails and I have to force power down, so I worry that I'm making my problems worse each time I do this.

Once I get DW in there, do I just start my computer and press C like I do for disk install?

Jun 21, 2007 3:56 PM in response to tgt

You should be able to eject the CD by depressing/holding the mouse button at startup. If not, look at this link Ejecting media in Mac OS X: Removing 'stuck' CDs/DVDs http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041011075232575

Depress/hold the C key at startup to use the DW CD.

If the normal run of DW doesn't fix your problem, read below.

I read on another forum about some "hidden" features in DiskWarrior v3.03. Not sure if the features are also in the new v4. I did a Google search & found the following about Scavenge Mode & One-time Password

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Use DiskWarrior's Scavenge mode
By Rob Griffiths @ MacWorld

Many people, myself included, rely on DiskWarrior to fix drives that have otherwise become unusable. In my particular case, I had a bad FireWire hub (unbeknownst to me) that was causing my FireWire drives to routinely go into never-never land. DiskWarrior (; October 2003) would then come to the rescue, rebuilding the damaged directory structure and returning the drive to a usable state—almost always without any data loss. Needless to say, DiskWarrior is a key product in my Mac’s first aid kit.

DiskWarrior normally scans directories, focusing its attention only on damaged portions of the directory structure. This makes sense, for if a given portion of the directory isn’t damaged, then there’s no need to repair it. But in some cases, you might want DiskWarrior to go ahead and scan the apparently-healthy directory information as well. Just what cases, you ask?

Assume you have some other disk repair tools in your machine’s first aid kit, and you tried some of them before running DiskWarrior. It’s possible that the other tools were able to repair the directory damage, leaving no damage for DiskWarrior to find. But it’s also possible that the repaired directory structure may not find all your stuff—so you’ve now got an apparently healthy directory, but you’re confident there are some files and folders missing.

This is where DiskWarrior’s Scavenge mode comes into play. If you hold down the Option key in DiskWarrior’s window, the Rebuild button changes to read Scavenge. In Scavenge mode, DiskWarrior will look at the entire directory structure, not just those portions that are damaged. Note that the technique used in Scavenge is the same as that used in Rebuild; it’s just that all of the directory is examined. As such, you only need to use Scavenge when the disk’s directory is fine, but you suspect that there’s data missing. As explained in the DiskWarrior manual:

Therefore, you do not need to make DiskWarrior scavenge the directory except when DiskWarrior states “All file and folder data was easily located” in the DiskWarrior Report, but you suspect that files and/or folders are still missing from the replacement directory.

I personally haven’t had the chance to test the Scavenge mode yet, but I’m glad to know there’s a way to force DiskWarrior to work with the entire directory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Below are some Google comments about using the Scavenge Mode

(1) I am not sure of how many people out there are aware of this, but when running DiskWarrior, if you simply hold down the Option key on the keyboard, the Rebuild button will change into a Scavenge button. Scavenge is a more-thorough scan and repair than is Rebuild.

(2) The documentation (available by going to the help menu or delving into the DiskWarrior package) says this about the scavenge command: What to Do If You Used Another Utility First

If you have used another utility before DiskWarrior and now have a directory that has no errors but is missing data, you can make DiskWarrior scavenge the directory to find the lost data if the other utility did not write over it. Hold down the Option key in step 6) Click the Rebuild button. The Rebuild button will change to Scavenge and when you press Scavenge, DiskWarrior will scavenge the directory.

Note: This is the same scavenge procedure DiskWarrior uses to recover your data when it finds directory errors, but it normally skips the scavenge procedure when the directory has no major errors. Therefore, you do not need to make DiskWarrior scavenge the directory except when DiskWarrior states “All file and folder data was easily located” in the DiskWarrior Report but you suspect that files and/or folders are still missing from the replacement directory.

(3) I recently tried to help a client with a very dodgy G5. When booted from the DW CD, I got the message that the directory was too badly damaged to repair, but to contact Alsoft support for help with more options. Called them, got a message to leave my number and they would call back, which they did within a half hour (which impressed me as well, since the message said it could be several hours). I wish I had written down the details, but the tech had me do something like hold down cmd-option, and that resulted in a new menu item that generated a code. When I gave the code to the tech, he gave me back a password, and the program then generated something like a text file of the directory. I emailed that file to him, and the next day he was able to walk me through another code/password process that then allowed me to rebuild the directory. It was amazing! Don't ever again assume that things are hopeless before calling Alsoft Tech Support, or at least trying the hint above.

I will say though, that I don't believe the Scavenge command necessarily does something *more thorough* than a normal rebuild. I think it just allows you to take a chance on fixing a really bunged up directory that otherwise might not be fixable.

(4) Recently, I dealt with a 700 MHz iMac whose owner had run the wrong version of Norton Utilities four times in a row. She was trying to take care of her machine and didn’t realize she was running incompatible software. The machine would not boot, even though DiskWarrior created a new directory. I could see that the problem lay in the directory, but didn't want to erase a machine that was not backed up.

I know that there are hidden features in DiskWarrior, but not how to access them, so I called their Technical Support. The polite gentleman who returned my call was a pleasure to speak with. After I described the problem, he told me to press a key combination in DiskWarrior, and click on a particular portion of the splash screen. A dialog with a hint appeared. He checked the hint against his list and gave me a one-time password. I clicked the Scavenge option instead of Rebuild, and a Support menu appeared with just one option, Clear Corrupted Header. DiskWarrior then rebuilt and replaced the directory and my customer’s computer was in better shape than it had been in a long time. I had discovered the best hidden feature, Alsoft’s Tech Support team.

(5) I was contacted by Marc Moorash from Alsoft, who guided me through the following process. (Well - at least up to Step 10 below).

The whole process probably took an hour from start to successful finish. I was on the phone to him for about 3 minutes!

1. Connected damaged G5 to Powerbook via Firewire 400 using Target Mode.

2. Launched Disk Warrior 3.03 from CD on the Powerbook

3. Selected the drive (Unknown Disk) to be repaired

4. Held down Ctrl+Opt and clicked on the DiskWarrior shield next to "Directory"

5. A hidden screen popped up asking for a password. It gave an 8 character hint:

6. The tech support asked for the hint and then supplied me the password.

7. A new menu appeared, called "Support". In that menu there was an option: "Clear Corrupted Volume Header ", which I selected.

8. I was then asked to click "Rebuild" and to call out each Step in the process to the tech support guy.

9. It almost immediately jumped to Step 5: Locating directory data.

10. Evidently this was good...as it meant that it had bypassed the error message I was getting previously.

11. Eventually DiskWarrior finished analyzing the volume and presented me with the option to preview the rebuilt volume:

12. I clicked on the "Preview" button and DW created a locked disk in the Finder.

13. I checked the volume: everything was fine.

14. I clicked on the "Replace" button.

15. My hard drive appeared on the desktop, and in the DiskWarrior menu.

16. I am now backing up all the data that I thought I had lost.

 Cheers, Tom

DiskWarrior Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.