Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup option for access to firmware/BIOS

Hi there, I know Macs don't use BIOS so I assume getting in to the Open Firmware is the same thing. I understand you use the CMD key (Apple Key) + OPT key (ALT Key) + O + F - this doesn't seem to work on my iMAC (which is also BootCamped running WinXP) - any ideas why I can't get this to work?..I can press down the ALT key which gives me the option to choose a boot partition but just can't get into Open Firmware - any ideas please?

iMac (Intel), Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 21, 2007 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2007 12:46 AM

Ahhh, I see!...thanks very much, now to the reasoning behind all this. I run bootcamp, but I want to change the date of the computer - on a PC you would change the time in the BIOS and this would therefore affect whichever partition you were booting in to. Would this be the same thing then, I get into the UNIX command line and then that would change the system time for my Windows partition as well?

Thanks very much for your help so far..
23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2007 12:46 AM in response to Kappy

Ahhh, I see!...thanks very much, now to the reasoning behind all this. I run bootcamp, but I want to change the date of the computer - on a PC you would change the time in the BIOS and this would therefore affect whichever partition you were booting in to. Would this be the same thing then, I get into the UNIX command line and then that would change the system time for my Windows partition as well?

Thanks very much for your help so far..

Jun 21, 2007 2:41 PM in response to JasonG69

That's because Intel Macs do not support Open Firmware rather they use EFI. To select a boot partition at startup after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears.

If you wish to access the Unix command line at startup you must press COMMAND-S after the chime and hold it until a black screen with white type appears.

Jun 22, 2007 4:44 AM in response to JasonG69

Apple uses EFI, the future replacement for PC BIOS. EFI does not rely on BIOS settings, in fact, Apple does not have a traditional PC BIOS-style settings options. For setting the time, you do that inside of Windows (or any other OS) just like you would inside of the Mac OS.

EFI hopefully will replace PC BIOS in all future PCs, finally ridding the PC world of 1980s-style computing. Intel has already deployed EFI on their latest laptop line, so the trend is heading towards industry-wide EFI adoption.

Jun 22, 2007 10:10 AM in response to JasonG69

The Date and Time can be set using the Date and Time preferences in System Preferences. You can configure it to automatically control the date and time using a network time server.

All Macs have a built-in clock that is powered by either an internal battery (desktops and some laptops) or the main battery (laptops.) The information is stored in non-volatile RAM that is maintained by the battery. Your iMac's battery is located on the logic board.

There is no need to set the time through a BIOS such as you did with PCs. Mac hardware is quite different and has been for years in this regard.

Jun 22, 2007 10:56 AM in response to JasonG69

The problem with Windows seeing a different date and/or time is a problem with Windows or Boot Camp (perhaps you haven't installed the drivers from the Driver CD you would have burned during the Boot Camp installation.)

Have you used the Date and Time control panel in Windows to set up the date and time? It is supposed to sync with the internal date and time on the Mac hardware but there have been reports that the date and time display in Windows is not maintained properly. This is a bug and cannot be fixed by trying to tinker with the hardware. Have you installed the most recent Boot Camp software (1.3?)

Jun 22, 2007 3:45 PM in response to Kappy

I want to change the date at a lower level than the OS - whilst I am going through the installation of Windows, I want the date to be in the future..therefore, the only place I can see this being done, is in the BIOS equivalent, which would be the EFI - now all I need is the syntax, date man isn't helping as it doesn't tell me how to set the date in full including the timezone etc..

Does anyone know the syntax for teh date command for EFI to make the date Fri Jun 22 19:12:28 BST 2097 for example?

Startup option for access to firmware/BIOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.