Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DB inconsistency, adjustmens and book photos missing. Restore from Vault?

I'm really stuck here and need some advice as to what to do.

A couple of days ago, when my computer woke from sleep, it said that one of my external hard drives (out of three) had been improperly removed. This seems to happen to me once in a while. Anyway, it prompted Aperture to say there was an inconsistency in the database and that I should quit and then rebuild it by holding down opt-cmd while launching Aperture.

I did this, but got the same problem a few others have gotten. It hangs while saying it is recovering a project. Even if leaving it there for several hours.

Interestingly, I found that, as others have, you can actually choose quit on Aperture's icon from the dock, despite the fact that a dialog is active. When doing this, I very briefly, before the program appears to crash, see another dialog swing down behind the one saying it is recovering a project. Sometimes the error submission report pops up then and sometimes it doesn't.

When I go back into Aperture, it will eventually get through all those libraries being rebuilt, albeit one at a time, with a quit almost every other time as it hangs on a project.

So, it appears to rebuild things ok, I see all my pictures. But when I click on the project that I'm desperately trying to finish, I notice that all the metadata appears to be missing. No adjustments, no captions, no ratings, no keywords.

Also, the a book that is part of the project appears fine for a split second when I click on it. But after the pictures being there for a split second, they all switch to gray boxes and there are no photos in the browser section of the book project.

My Aperture vault is recently updated, so I feel good about that. But I guess what I'm wondering now is should I just restore the library from the vault? The user manual's information about the vault is kind of scant, and I've also seemed to find some posts on this forum that indicate that certain metadata will be lost on a restore. I just want to get back to work. I've already wasted a couple of days being very cautious about this.

I've tried restoring this database so many times with nearly the same results every time. It's quite frustrating to have this not work.

If I do the restore from the vault, I won't be able to have the old Aperture library on the same hard drive. There's only 20 GB free and the old library is 40GB. Of course, I have noticed that it's been growing each time I try to restore the library because it seems to be regenerating thumbnails.

I hope that perhaps somebody out there has some good advice for me, so I can finish this up and move on. Thanks.

iMac 2.16 GHz, 24", 2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jun 23, 2007 4:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2007 5:23 AM

Usually rebuilding the Library fixes any inconsistency, even if has to be left for hours to do so.

If isn't working in your case, the best solution would be restoring from the vault. To be on the safe side move the Library to an external hd. When you launch Aperture, an empty Library will be created at the same location. Restore then from the Vault.

Before doing any of the above, I'd run an OS X maintenance app as Cocktail or Onyx. There could be something wrong in the system.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2007 5:23 AM in response to hallerphoto

Usually rebuilding the Library fixes any inconsistency, even if has to be left for hours to do so.

If isn't working in your case, the best solution would be restoring from the vault. To be on the safe side move the Library to an external hd. When you launch Aperture, an empty Library will be created at the same location. Restore then from the Vault.

Before doing any of the above, I'd run an OS X maintenance app as Cocktail or Onyx. There could be something wrong in the system.

Jun 23, 2007 5:37 AM in response to Eduardo Calvo

Thanks for your speedy reply. I already tried the route of leaving it for several hours. For the projects that would restore properly, it would only take about a minute to fix. For the times I left it for several hours, I would come back and it would be stuck in the exact same place, restoring a single project.

I did back up both the vault and the current library in other locations. Just out of curiosity, when I restore from the a vault, will I lose the metadata? I think your advice is good. I'll give it a try.

Jun 23, 2007 9:39 AM in response to hallerphoto

Well you could try something a bit unorthodox.

Since the Library is already backed up.

Quit Aperture.

Control click on the library to show contents.
Find the problem project and move it out of the Library.

Control click on the good vault to show contents.
Open the library folder within the vault and find the good copy of the problem project.
Drag the good copy to the corresponding location in the damaged library.

Restart Aperture

Jun 24, 2007 5:45 AM in response to Eduardo Calvo

I had read all these forum posts since having this problem, and interestingly, my vault appears to have thumbnails and previews tucked away in each image's folder, despite everything saying they'll need to be rebuilt.

But, the few times I've restored the library trying to get things back on track, Aperture is back to building thumbnails and previews again, for hours to come. Also, now the library appears to grow in size. I think it's time to now just delete the problem library and restore from the vault.

It's a huge disappointment to have professional level software paint me into a corner like this.

DB inconsistency, adjustmens and book photos missing. Restore from Vault?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.