Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lag in new files appearing, especially on desktop

Ever since I got my 2ghz intel iMac, I've noticed that I'll sometimes have a prolonged lag from when I save a file on the desktop (say from Photoshop) to when it actually appears there.
There will be nothing and even opening a new finder window and browsing the desktop doesn't show the file. I'll have to do a search in spotlight to turn up the file. The file path at the bottom says desktop, I'll open it and only then does it show up on the desktop.
I've been a mac user all my life and this is the first time I've encountered this.
I'm not sure why the long delay in the desktop updating it's files. It would seem that spotlight forces it to exam what's actually located there, otherwise it doesn't always look.

Has anyone else run into this problem? I vaguely remember something about a key shortcut that makes the desktop redraw (?) but I could be imagining things.

I haven't noticed it when saving to other places, as when I'm pushing files in and out of programs, the desktop is my usual temp. file cabinet.

20" intel iMac Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jun 24, 2007 9:15 AM

There are no replies.

Lag in new files appearing, especially on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.