Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combine 2 Macs to process. Is it possible???

I am using Logic, and have an external software instrument library that is very memory intensive. Also, it takes a lot of time to load all of the instruments. Is it possible to have a second Mac networked in to help with processing and expand the memory capabilitites. Basically, use one as an external node to add processing and memory power? I know it's possible through Shake, for Final Cut. But, is it possible with Logic as well? I cannot find any info to answer either way.

I just bought a Power Mac G5, but I still have an iMac G4. It seems like it would make sense to combine them and get even more speed and power. Possible? Not possible?

iMac G4 1.25GHZ & Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8GHZ, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jun 25, 2007 12:33 PM

13 replies

Jun 25, 2007 12:45 PM in response to digisphere

Hi digisphere;

I have absolute no idea as to what the answer is to your question might be.

What I want to say is that posing the same question in four forums is considered a bit excessive. You would probably be better serve to go around to all of these thread and put links back to a single one at least that way you and the responders will all be coming at your question from the same direction. Personally I think this would be the best one of the four but that is only my opinion.

Allan
User uploaded file

Jun 25, 2007 1:04 PM in response to digisphere

YES!

you can use another mac as a node. You use the node application that comes with Logic.

However, a node will only help process logic's internal plug ins and instruments, which is still very helpful for space designers and other cpu hungry apps.

If you look on the Logic section of apple's website you'll find the answers to your questions. One thing of note, apple recommends that the node machine has Gigabit ethernet.

rounik

Jun 25, 2007 1:16 PM in response to digisphere

Hi.

If you are only needing processing power (CPU power) then yes, noding two macs is an option. A Node is oly good for Native Logic plugins CPU power, not memory extension. IE you cannot use a node on a sampler, or a third party plugin.

But your questions sounds like it is more of a RAM memory issue. In this case, you can use one machine with a stand-alone player like the old PlasQ Rax(no longer made) and slave this machine to your main Logic rig.

Cheers

Jun 25, 2007 10:43 PM in response to graphicaliber425

Hi,

You can run logic on a G5 and a Mac Pro as a node. I found the Mac Pro node runs 1/4 more plugins than if MAC Pro is the master and G5 the node. In this case G5 runs more than if it is the master. Of course (unfortunately) you can only run Logic plugins. I found thru test that thoses 2 Macs runs 30% more plugins than Pro tools HD3. It may be argued that with the additions of RTAS plugins then Pro tools HD3 wil run more plugins.
But it is amazing how many plugins you can run with 2 MACs one being a node.
I am retired so I have time to do those purposless tests for fun.
Eric

Jun 25, 2007 11:57 PM in response to Eric Dhumez

I have been thinking about adding nodes to my system. So, related to this, but not directly answering tho original post, it would seem that adding a Mac Mini or two would considerably increase the processing capabilities of Pro7 at very little cost. Is this right? Considering David Robinson's response which is obviously one of experience, and from a very experienced user, however, one could buy 2 Mac Minis for about the same price as a new copy of Logic Pro. Which of those 2 routes would give the most significant improvement? Using nodes is limited to Apple only processes, and not EXS24. Must every item on the track be Apple/Logic, ie if I understand correctly, if anything in the chain is 3rd party, the whole track must be processed on the host computer. Is that right? However if multiple tracks send to a bus that has only Logic pi's, then presumably the bus can be processed on a node. Is that correct?

I'm not intending to totally hijack this thread, as hopefully answers to these questions will help the OP too.

Jun 26, 2007 8:34 AM in response to graphicaliber425

Nope.

I use my old 800mHz iBook with my new MacBook Pro, the ibook is the slave.

You don't get as much a performance out of systems that have 100base Ethernet, but you still see quite a bit.

You could, for instanec, buy a 1000b ethernet hub, hook up a G5 as the master, and hook up 4 other Macs as slaves. Choose your flavor of Mac. As long as they can run the node software, it will work.

Cheers

Jun 26, 2007 12:13 PM in response to David Robinson9

mr digisphere, yes it's possible, but you need at
least LP7 and LExp7 to do it.
forget nodes.
we have very successfully linked two logic systems
together.
but you must have two LP7 dongles.
there are some sync issues, but nothing that ca't be
solved.
best, david r.

David,

would you please give a little more detail about linking two systems together?

Thank you,

H.

P.S. I am not trying to hijack the thread, just thought that DR9's response could give usefull info...

Combine 2 Macs to process. Is it possible???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.