Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Why has my text rotated??

2477 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2007 10:52 PM by Old Toad RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Jen Alice Flaherty Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 25, 2007 6:18 PM
When I am creating a book in iPhoto, my text rotates when I play the book and when I view it in preview mode. Any suggestions?
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (113,060 points)
    Jun 26, 2007 11:58 AM (in response to Jen Alice Flaherty)
    Jen:

Welcome to the Apple Discussions. Can you give us some more information on the problem: what theme are you using? What layout? Are the photos landscape or portrait? Are you using the default font. Did you enter the font from in iPhoto or copy and paste from another application? Can you post a screenshot of how it looks? (if you have a .Mac account put the screenshot in the Pictures folder on the iDisk and then post the link as follows:

Add any text

It will look like this Add any text if done correctly.

I've added a space after each < so the code would show. Remove the spaces when you post.

<blockquote align="left"> Do you Twango?
    TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.

I've written an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

MBP 2.16Ghz; G5 Dual Core 2GHz, 2G RAM ea, 250G HD; G4 Dual 1Ghz, 1.5G RAM;   Mac OS X (10.4.10)   22" LCD, 710G FW HDs, Canon: SD700IS/i850/LIDE 50, Epson R200, 30G iPod, 2G Nano
    MBP 2.16Ghz; G5 Dual Core 2GHz, 2G RAM ea, 250G HD; G4 Dual 1Ghz, 1.5G RAM;, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 22" LCD, 710G FW HDs, Canon: SD700IS/i850/LIDE 50, Epson R200, 30G iPod, 2G Nano
    Jun 27, 2007 4:47 PM (in response to Jen Alice Flaherty)
    Have you tried changing the font to the default? Try this, Control-click on the book icon in the Source pane and select the Duplicate option in the contextual menu. Open the duplicate copy, change the text to the default and do a print to pdf. See if the rotation goes away. If so then you'll have to make some decisions on what to use.

By layout I'm referring to the page layout, 1, 2, or 3 pics per page. Most of the themes has a layout menu at the bottom.
    MBP 2.16Ghz; G5 Dual Core 2GHz, 2G RAM ea, 250G HD; G4 Dual 1Ghz, 1.5G RAM;, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 22" LCD, 710G FW HDs, Canon: SD700IS/i850/LIDE 50, Epson R200, 30G iPod, 2G Nano
    Jul 10, 2007 8:09 PM (in response to Jen Alice Flaherty)
    Jen:

Didn't get an email regarding your response. I see what you mean. That's a first.

Is the text on those pages added as an image file into one of the photo frames? It appears as that's what it is. If so, then double click on the rotated text image to bring up the edit mode and rotate the file in the direction you need to get it to align properly.
    Jul 11, 2007 5:25 PM (in response to Jen Alice Flaherty)
    I'm not familiar enough with java to know how it is connected to iPhoto, etc.

I'm streatching it a bit here but try taking it from the other application again but after doing a Page Setup in that application where you select the landscape orientation instead of the default portrait. As it said it a stretch but maybe the cut and paste carried over the page orientation with the text.

Did you update to 10.4.10 via the Software Update? If you download and run the 10.4.10 COMBO updater. Also update Quicktime to the latest version, 7.2, and then repair disk permissions.
    Jul 13, 2007 4:29 PM (in response to Jen Alice Flaherty)
    I don't think java is involved but java is over my head.

Try the following:

1 - go into your User/Library/Cache folder and delete any folder with iPhoto in the title. Then launch iPhoto and try again

2 - boot into Safe Mode, launch iPhoto and try the pdf with the book again. If the text is not rotated there there's something associated with the system that's causing the problem The Safe Mode only activates the very basic files for the system to operate. None of the add-ons, either Apple's or a 3rd party's, is activated. If the text is still rotated then it may be the application.

If it appears to be the iPhoto application you'll have to reinstall it from the disks it came on. If you do try a reinstall of iPhoto you'll have to delete the current application and all files with "iPhoto" in the file name that reside in the HD/Library/Receipts folder.
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.