Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting order of pictures from Aperture in an iPod slideshow

I've recently got a video iPod and have transferred all my photos to it from Aperture. I found that it was necessary to create an album for every project in my Aperture library in order for the projects to show up on the iPod.

Having got all my projects (as albums) listed on the iPod, I want to be able to view them as slideshows. However, there's been a 'scattering effect' in the sorting of all the pictures in each album: overall, they're broadly in the correct order, but many pictures have been scattered out of the order they're supposed to be in.

For example, in one particular album, which is of a two-day shoot, the pictures are broadly chronological on the iPod but many pictures are out of sequence. Sometimes they're displaced just a few positions from where they should be. Sometimes they're on completely the wrong day (e.g. a handful of day 1 shots are intermingled with the day 2 pictures). It's easy to see that the ordering is wrong by looking at the 5x5 album preview on the iPod, and of course the slideshow reflects that order.

My photos are all dated correctly (in terms of Mac datestamp and EXIF image data), and they're named sequentially (in the form "### image name.jpg", where ### is a three-digit number starting from 001). In Aperture, the pictures are set to be ordered by filename, and they do appear in the right order there, but once they've made it across to the iPod they're out of sequence. I can't see any reason for the new iPod ordering: it seems entirely arbitrary, yet it's the same after every synch, and it doesn't correspond to any setting I can make in Aperture as far as I can see.

My iPod's date setting is correct and the 'shuffle slideshow' option is turned off. (Though I don't think that either fact is relevant - especially not 'shuffle', as the pictures are clearly in the wrong order in the album previews and the slideshow just reflects that ordering.)

I want and need my pictures to be in their correct numerical/chronological sequence. If they're in the wrong order, the slideshow facility is completely useless. I've seen similar questions asked by other users on this forum, but none has yet received a satisfactory answer.

Someone, please put me out of my misery and tell me how to make this work as it should!

PowerMac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.8) Dual 2.5GHz, Radion X800

Posted on Jun 26, 2007 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2007 7:10 AM

Hey Richard, I come from Bradford and used to work at David Brown Gears in H'field.

Other than taking a blunt instrument to the heads of the Aperture developers, I haven't found a solution (same issue with the media browser in iMovie etc.). Aperture appears to put images in the media browser based on import entry sequence, but even that may not be the whole truth.

My only recourse is to use the media browser to pull them into iPhoto, and create an iPhoto slideshow. Pulling that onto your iPod seems to work.

Now, about that blunt instrument ....

G.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2007 7:10 AM in response to Richard Hallas

Hey Richard, I come from Bradford and used to work at David Brown Gears in H'field.

Other than taking a blunt instrument to the heads of the Aperture developers, I haven't found a solution (same issue with the media browser in iMovie etc.). Aperture appears to put images in the media browser based on import entry sequence, but even that may not be the whole truth.

My only recourse is to use the media browser to pull them into iPhoto, and create an iPhoto slideshow. Pulling that onto your iPod seems to work.

Now, about that blunt instrument ....

G.

Jun 27, 2007 10:46 AM in response to David G Chapman

Thanks a lot for the answer. But what an absolute pain in the nether regions! The situation as it stands is totally unacceptable, and I really didn't want to have to mess about with iPhoto any more. I bought Aperture to replace iPhoto, not to act as a back-end to it.

I sincerely hope that Apple will address this issue, and soon. The combination of Aperture and iPod is frankly not fit for purpose. And when you consider that the 'free' software equivalent (iPhoto plus iPod) is just fine, you start to feel a little ripped off.

By the way, David, it's a small world! You know that church just across the road from David Brown? My father's been organist there for about 40 years. And my uncle worked in David Brown's in Meltham (though it's been demolished for years, now). I live only about a mile away from where you used to work.

PowerMac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.8) Dual 2.5GHz, Radion X800

Jun 29, 2007 2:26 AM in response to Richard Hallas

hey! i am having the same problem with my apple tv and issued a question about it in the atv forum. for the moment, i have a cryptic response from winston churchill (pseudo) that seems to indicate that the album transfer from iphoto works correctly, but he does not think this is a bug, but rather us not being able to determine in what order the sequence is chosen by atv. what we want is for atv (or, in your case, ipod) to duplicate the order of the album that we have created in aperture. please, oh apple geniuses, send us a fix for this problem! because, otherwise, aperture is a fantastic tool to work with.

Jul 3, 2007 4:13 AM in response to Benjamin Mui

i exported the files from an aperture album and created the same album in iphoto and it worked perfectly with TV, so this seems to be an aperture problem. i have sent feedback to aperture and hope there will be a fix for this soon. i did rename the files in iphoto starting at 001 and haven't tried it yet without renaming them, but i renamed them in aperture and it still didn't work with TV, so I am sure this is an aperture problem. i am now using iphoto to store my aperture albums that will be used as slide shows, but this takes up disk space.

Jul 6, 2007 4:21 PM in response to Richard Hallas

I had the same issue when I tried to create a slideshow in iDVD by importing directly from the Aperture preview library (I'm using MacOS 10.4.10, Aperture 1.5.3, iLife 6.0.6): The sorting order of the pictures in the preview window (media browser) does not correspond to the order in the main Aperture library - despite having numerical titles. Thus, the slidehow I made in iDVD did not have the correct order.

The work-around was to import the Aperture previews into iPhoto, in which the correct sorting order was restored, and then import the pictures from iPhoto into iDVD.

Since I had hoped to organize and modify my pictures in Aperture and then use the iLife integration feature to create DVDs for customer preview, this is highly annoying. I filed this as a bug report within Aperture and hope that they will look into it.

MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Sorting order of pictures from Aperture in an iPod slideshow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.