Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X Tiger Installation Disc

Recently I have been trying to install a fresh clean tiger from the install disc onto an external usb drive. The disc is recognized by the computer. When I click the install mac os x.app It pops up with a restart button. I click it but when I restart the first thing I see is a little blue folder with a blinking mac face alternating with question mark. Then it just boots in my OS X 10.4.10 on my mac. Then I tried holding the C button on start up to boot onto the installation disc and nothing happens. What should I do to get my mac to recognize the installation disc on startup.

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jun 26, 2007 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2007 9:58 AM

First, a USB drive is only good for Intel Macs.

Try to resolve your problem by zapping PRAM. Hold down the cnd opt+RP keys on startup, and release after 3 "bongs". then try startiing off the optical drive.
5 replies

Jun 26, 2007 11:52 AM in response to nnny

Can you please clarify what you have and what you want to do? For example, your post states "install a fresh clean tiger from the install disc onto an external usb drive" - which i interpret as you want to install Tiger onto an external usb hard disk and use that to boot from. Is that what you want to do? Or do you mean install onto your internal hard disk drive from an external usb optical drive?

Do you have an Intel-based Mac Mini, or a PPC-based Mac Mini?

PPC-based Macs cannot boot from USB drives, so although it will recognize the Install disc in an external usb optical drive, when you reboot you will not be able to boot from the external usb optical drive. Intel macs can boot from usb drives [disc or disk - if you are unaware, a disC is optical media (cd/dvd) and a disK is magnetic (floppy/hard drive)].

Holding down the c key will boot from the internal optical drive.

Provide a few more details about your desired outcome, please...

Jun 26, 2007 12:25 PM in response to neuroanatomist

Okay let me clarify I have a usb external hd I want to install tiger onto the hard drive and boot from it.
Accroding to previous posts this not an option.

I have PPC Mac Mini that runs Mac OS X 10.4.10
I have a Tiger installation disc that has 10.4.0.
I have a CD-RW/DVD Optical drive
I have an 37.4GB external usb hd

The lack of success I have with my installation process is the not the installation of Tiger on my external hd but, it is my computer.

My computer recognizes the disc in finder.
When I click the Install Mac OS X.app It prompts me to restart in order for the installation process to begin.

When my computer restarts. Rather than starting with the installation dvd.

My computer displays a Blue folder. With an icon that alternates from the finder face to a ?.

Then after a minute the Apple logo shows up and boots into OS X.

Therefore, the Install DVD is not recognized on Start UP

Also, I tired booting from my disc by holding the C button after the chime and I get the same results.

I want my computer to be able to boot from the installation DVD.

I will worry about my external hd later.

I just want my computer to be able to boot from the DVD.

Mac Mini Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Jun 26, 2007 12:47 PM in response to nnny

Clear now - thanks.

As you now know, booting from an external USB is not possible for you. However, you can boot from an external FireWire hard disk.

I will assume that you are trying to boot from the internal optical drive. Also, be sure you are using Install DVD 1 (not 2, etc.) - if so, this should work with both of the methods you are describing. The only method you have not tried is inserting the Install DVD 1, then going to System Preferences > Startup Disk and selecting the DVD, then clicking Restart. I would try that, just to be sure.

The alternating finder face/? mark means the Mac cannot find a valid OS where it is looking, and it's looking on the disc in the optical drive in this case. It tries for a while, then defaults to the internal HDD which boots. Thus, the most likely explanation is a damaged Install DVD (not completely shot, obviously, since you can run the OS X installer from it, but likely damage to the region of the dvd with the bootable OS). You can call AppleCare and explain the problem, and they should be able to ship you a replacement disc set (you'll need to provide your serial number, which you can get from System Profiler). They will charge you a nominal fee to cover S&H, perhaps $20-30.

Hope this helps...

Mac OS X Tiger Installation Disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.