Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SmoothCam Glitch

I've run into a strange situation with smoothcam that I hope someone here can help me with. I edit weddings and hoped to use smoothcam to stabilize some shots. However, I've encountered an issue when smoothcam when it analyzes a shot with bright camera flash. When a camera flash occurs, it causes the picture to jump almost halfway out of the screen. it seems like each camera flash throws off the analysis dramatically. As of right now, I can't use this great feature to the extent I would like.

Has anyone encountered this yet? Are there any work-arounds for this?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

-Bob

PMG5 Dual 2.0 Ghz Mac OS X (10.4.10) Radeon x800 xl

Posted on Jun 26, 2007 8:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2007 7:55 AM

Heybob-

Haven't tried this but maybe you could replace the offending frame ( video only, not audio ) with a duplicate of the prior or next frame. You might have to nest that part of the sequence and export to Quicktime and replace in timeline to analyze. Don't know if it will work... but it might.

Hope this helps - Joan
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2007 7:55 AM in response to Heybob

Heybob-

Haven't tried this but maybe you could replace the offending frame ( video only, not audio ) with a duplicate of the prior or next frame. You might have to nest that part of the sequence and export to Quicktime and replace in timeline to analyze. Don't know if it will work... but it might.

Hope this helps - Joan

Jun 27, 2007 10:48 AM in response to joan WOOD

Thanks for the input Joan. I was thinking about doing that but with a wedding there can hundreds of camera flashes. That could really bog down production. I currently own istablize and it works flawlessly. I purchased the latest version of Final Cut Studio mostly for the smoothcam integration.

Any other suggestions? Would it be helpful to post a video for everyone to see the issue?

-Bob

Jun 27, 2007 12:41 PM in response to Heybob

I would experiment with the sensitivity and amount of stabilization and see if you can find a happy medium that does not freak out with the flashes.

One thing about the smoothcam which you are probably familiar with is that it needs to analyze all the media of a clip to apply the smoothcam, not just what is between your in & out. If you wanted to speed up your testing process, you may want to export a very short self-contained movie to re-import for your tests.

Jun 27, 2007 12:55 PM in response to Heybob

If flashes are the cause then I wonder if this would work?
Blade the offending areas of your clips in the timeline.
Make copies of those offending flashes and place them in V2
Reduce the white levels on all the flashes so they are no longer offensive.
I know Smoothcam ignores filters, so export the offending pieces as self-contained QT files
Bring them back in and run Smoothcam on them.
Edit them back into the project. I wish I had FCP6 and I would have tried it first, but it's just a thought.

Jun 27, 2007 6:50 PM in response to Heybob

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I've created a quicktime movie for you to view to see how severe this is.

http://www.envisionvideo.biz/smoothcam/smoothcamglitch.html

I've tried adjusting the settings. No matter what the setting, it still jogs around. If I have to export a video file, I may as well use istablize which works flawlessly. It's just a shame that one of the key selling features of FCS 2.0 was the built-in smoothcam filter.

I'm not sure if this can be resolved without having to export, but any other feedback would be great.

-Bob

PMG5 Dual 2.0 Ghz Mac OS X (10.4.10) Radeon x800 xl

Jun 29, 2007 5:44 AM in response to Heybob

taken from nattress.com ----

I videoed a concert and there's lots of camera flashes that are distracting and I'd like to remove them

G Deflash from Set 1 will automatically remove flash frames that appear in a video by removing the frame they occur on

------

I have the nattress set 1 plugin but I am in the middle of system maintenance and installing studio 2. If I get a chance I will test out your problem, with the deFlash filter unless you try it and post back first. Good luck.

Aug 13, 2007 8:33 AM in response to Heybob

Hey Heybob,

Smoothcam definitely has its quirks, and it handles every video clip differently. In your particular situation, it's just the nature of the visual elements. The dude is wearing a white tux, and when camera flashes go off, the woman's dress (and everything else) becomes a large white shape as well, and Smoothcam doesn't recognize them as the same two figures.

I've encountered similar situations with tracking shots, where a car or a person goes right in front of the lens. In those situations, there's nothing you can do to "reprogram" Smoothcam... you just have to razor blade at the beginning and end of the offending moment, and blend as best you can.

So you can try that with your clip, but from the looks of it, that particular shot doesn't need stabilization anyway.

I think we can all agree that Smoothcam is not a cure-all, but it's a tool in the toolbox to make the end product a little bit better.

SmoothCam Glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.