Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio line in not working

My MacBook Pro has suddenly lost the ability to receive audio input. The built-in microphone still works, but input both via the microphone jack and via USB from a Plantronics headset has completely stopped working.

I have tried two microphones and none of them work – which they do on another computer.

I have also run the hardware test from the MacBook installation disk - without any problem being detected.

Anybody else who has experienced this and can advise what to do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jun 27, 2007 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2007 3:07 AM

Try going to Sys Pref, under Sounds, choose the input tab and select "Line In" in the "Choose a device for sound input" and give it another try. Hope that helps
14 replies

Jun 27, 2007 4:11 AM in response to Moses Low

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have spent quite some time in the Sys Pref dialogs, testing all available settings.

That's where it's clearly shown visually that there is no input when I use the "Line in" option, as opposed to when I use the "Built-in input" option. (There is a meter which shows the sound level input).

Jul 7, 2007 8:03 PM in response to Cyberdog

Yes, I have the exact same frustrating problem. I use Skype with a headset and you never know when it will work and when it won't. I made one phone call, it worked fine (I THINK it was picking up from the headset mic) and then when I unplugged the mic and put it back in (for unrelated reasons) I could get no sound input whatsoever. After playing for 15 minutes with the sound settings, unplugging the headset completely and going with "Built in Input" and "Built in Output" - absolutely nothing. I even rebooted. Couldn't make any phone calls. No sound input.

Apple had an "audio fix" in the most recent s/w update, but I'm thinking that was bogus. Same old problem.

These MBPs sure have something wrong with the audio input. Too much flakey technology with "optical/midi/analog input. Wish the #@$#@ audio input would just work! I never had/don't have this problem with my G4 Titanium.

MBP 15" 2.33GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Jul 11, 2007 3:34 AM in response to Cyberdog

I just found this info out on another discussion forum... can't claim it was my original .. go to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305840

There is an audio update on July 2. I installed it and rebooted (and now can't find the discussion group I got the info from) and my audio input WORKS! (At least for today, anyway.) At the very least, install it. It said it was specifically for the "popping" noise (which I didn't have myself) and it also seems to have fixed the audio-input problem. Worth a try....

Jul 30, 2007 10:26 AM in response to Cyberdog

Ditto for my Intel iMac-- I thought I had somehow damaged the line-in jack (though I seldom use it) and was wondering if it was worth the trouble to use my Applecare plan. But on reading the forums, it appears the trouble is with OSX 10.4.10, althoug most of those posts refer to USB inputs. I use a C-Media converter which still works fine.

I discovered this while decided to try out Skype and my headset mic wouldn't work. Tried another, same result. So I'm now using Skype with a Yealink USB adapter to my regular phone (nice unit, by the way).

I've tried the various workarounds and fixes, but the line-in still doesn't work.

Just my $.02.

Eric

Jul 31, 2007 4:09 PM in response to Eric Bobinsky

Hi guys!

I came back from vacation yesterday and had a new thing to test: I booted in bootcamp and tried the audio input. Since it worked I now knew that it was a software problem. So for the **** of it I again opened the Audio MIDI Setup app and looked for problems.

This time, for some reason, I immediately spotted a checkbox for the Plantronics Audio Input that was set to "Mute". Clicking it off solved the problem for me. I still have NO IDEA how it got set to mute in the first place, since I have never had that app open before. But what the heck! I have audio input again and can happily use my headset once more.

(Sorry for giving my "Solved" star to the wrong person by mistake...)

Message was edited by: CyberDawg

Aug 2, 2007 7:30 AM in response to Cyberdog

I had the same problem with an external PC mic that works fine on my PC.

In an apple support doc ( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303490), it states, "Analog audio line input is accepted through a 3.5mm mini phone jack which does not provide power to a connected device, so you must use self-powered peripherals."

Does not provide power....I guess that explains it. Disappointing.

Aug 3, 2007 1:22 PM in response to Cyberdog

Same prblm here...
The strangest thing is that Quicktime Pro does recognise the input signal. When recording a new audio file, it also plays it through the output. (with a second delay or so...)
Every other software i tried didn't work. (host-apps/vst/etc.)
Anybody?! THNX!!
N:(k

Message was edited by: nickratering

Message was edited by: nickratering

Oct 7, 2007 4:21 PM in response to nickratering

Sorry I can't be helpful, but I thought I'd add that I've got the same issue.

My internal mic works ok. But external line input at first appears dead. If I crank the levels on everything I can get a very weak, noisy and choppy signal. Not caused by cables or adaptors, you can hear there is weird digital stuff going on - audio levels change unexpectedly and there is also some pitch shifting and fuzzy digital sounding distortion.

Haven't tried in bootcamp - I figure it would work there - I'm sure this is a software problem. Let's hope Apple get to and fix it!

Audio line in not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.