Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google KMZ attachment changes to ZIP

When I drag a Google Earth .kmz attachment from mail to the desktop it changes the extension to .kmz.zip. I am then unable to open the the placemark unless I delete the .zip extension.

I get a similar result if I double click the attachment from within Mail - it goes to bomarchivehelper and asks me if I want to unzip the file as it may contain an application.

Any idea what's going on?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jun 27, 2007 4:55 AM

3 replies

Jun 27, 2007 5:50 AM in response to XP

What's going on is that .kmz files are zipped files (kmz = Keyhole Markup language Zipped). OS X automatically unzips the file for you, but I suspect because the contents are not recognized as a document or application the OS adds .zip as a suffix to the newly uncompressed file.

According to the Google developer knowledge base, you need to manually change the extension back to .kmz after unzipping the file.

Hope this helps...

Jun 28, 2007 7:26 AM in response to XP

If I receive a KMZ file in Mail and single-click, it pops a warning that x.kmz.zip my contain an application. Click OK and Google Earth opens and the globe spins to the marked location.

If this isn't happening for you (assuming you have Google Earth!) control-click the link and see what it offers for open with - if it doesn't include GE, select other and browse to GE.

User uploaded fileAK

Google KMZ attachment changes to ZIP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.