Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LDAP network users/automount points doesn't work after power failure

Hi,

I have a lab of about a dozen Mac Mini clients that boot to their own local HDs and pull their user accounts from a MacPro tower running Mac OS X Server 10.4.9.

Last week there was a power outage. The power was restored a couple hours later, but the clients would not mount any of the automount points from the server and could not log into the network user accounts. The login window showed "No Network Accounts Available".

I went into Directory Access on each client, turned off LDAP and the line item for the open directory server, restarted the clients, then turned the LDAP on and enabled the open directory listing inside Directory Access. As soon as I turned LDAP back on, the mount points showed up, I logged out of the local user account and was able to log into the network user accounts.

It appeared to be fixed, but now the clients apparently lose their directory binding again after the client is restarted. I go back and toggle LDAP off, restart, toggle it back on and it all works again.

Any ideas on how I can get the setting to "stick" again? And why would the power outage cause this across the board for all the clients? Seems strange to me...

MacPro OS X Server 10.4.9, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 27, 2007 10:37 AM

1 reply

Jun 27, 2007 1:32 PM in response to David L. Huxtable

Hi David:

On the clients log in as administrator, launch Net Info Manager, authenticate, select Config and delete the mcx_cache. Restart the client, remove the configuration in Directory Access again as well as the entires in the Authentication and Contacts field. Save the change, redo the configuration and try again. Was the Server also involved in the power outage?

Hope this helps – Tony

LDAP network users/automount points doesn't work after power failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.