Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Msn on Macbook pro

Hi i am thinking of getting a macbook pro and one question that i wish to ask is that i use msn alot messenger can i download that and use it on my mac or can i use it in mail and will it work with my isight

regards

dell Inspiron 6000, Windows XP

Posted on Jun 29, 2007 12:22 PM

13 replies

Jun 29, 2007 12:43 PM in response to johnnyi

MSN will work if you run Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp or Parallels. Both of those supports the built-in iSight. Not sure which is better.

Plain text chat works with MSN for the Mac, and several MSN clones.

Apple's iChat works with ICQ, AIM, and Apple's .Mac service and the built-in camera.

Apple's iChat also works with Jabber, but that service has no video support.

Mac OS X Mail supports IMAP, Exchange and POP.

OphoneX may be another way to handle video conferencing with MSN users. I'd do some research on it. If not MSN, with Netmeeting.

Skype also supports the built-in iSight for video conferencing. And so does ISPq.com.

Jun 29, 2007 12:45 PM in response to johnnyi

Yes, there is a version of Microsoft Messenger for mac.

Also, included with osx is iChat, another type of messenger. Also available is skype.

I don't think you can use the isight with Microsoft messenger. If you use ichat, you can video chat with other people using ichat, but not messenger.

Basically, there are plenty of messenger programs that allow you to video conference with people on pcs. Skype is the one i use but i'm sure there are better ones.

Jun 30, 2007 1:35 PM in response to johnnyi

Additional Info.

As has been said a MSN name can be used with iChat on the Jabber side via a Jabber Server that has "transports" to do so.

This means on the whole that your Jabber ID has to be with a Jabber server that runs transports and that may involve using a third party App to register as that function is not included in iChat.

For more see the top three links here http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/page5.html#_jabber
The first is a How to by Jabber Australia (they no longer do Transports)
The second is the AllForces site that tell you how to set up Transports
The third is a link to a list of Public Jabber servers and lists which ones do what.

At this point on my page 5 http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/page5.html#_other is a list of other options including aMSN and Mercury Messenger that can Video but not Audio to MSN users on a PC

The whys and wherefores of the different Video and Audio codecs are in this thread although the originating question was different.

User uploaded file

9:35 PM Saturday; June 30, 2007

Jul 6, 2007 12:00 PM in response to johnnyi

Hi Johnnyi,

That answer comes out as a Yes and a No.

Yes circumstances.
iChat users at both ends.
Jabber Buddy list.

This is basically an iChat to iChat connection and the Buddy list you started from does not matter. It starts up the A/V side of iChat

No Circumstances.
iChat has three Buddy lists (AIM, Jabber and Bonjour for Mac to Mac at the same LAN location such as your house)
Adding MSN or other IM names (Yahoo or similar) has to be done on the Jabber Buddy list - which means you have to get a Jabber name and arrange this to be with a server that does Transports. Although the Jabber.org people are working on Video and Audio codecs of their own they do not work with the ones iChat uses.
This means that you can only use the transport enabled connection to Text chat.

Options for Video from a Mac to a PC using MSN
aMSN or Mecury Messenger (No Sound )
See 11 sand 12 here http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/page5.html#_other

The earlier numbers of the list on this part of page 5 lists other apps that will text chat to MSN users as they can join multiple IM service (AdiumX is one)

Some options listed are apps that work on both platforms and have their own codec/ways of doing Video or Audio chats (Again these can not join iChat or MSN they are stand-alones in that respect)

EDIT:
I see others have made similar suggestions to my last paragraph

User uploaded file

7:59 PM Friday; July 6, 2007

Jul 6, 2007 7:28 PM in response to johnnyi

Jabber does NOT support video. It is like a layer on top of iChat that allows other protocols for chat to be used, like MSN and Yahoo, and only text at that.

iChat only supports video via AIM and ICQ and dotMac protocols.

A chat protocol, is basically a common computer language that any program can be developed to use.

The main protocols that exist are:

AIM = AOL Instant Messenger which works with video on iChat.
ICQ = shares the same protocol as AIM
MSN = only supports video via oPhoneX
Yahoo = has limited video chat via its own chat.
MS Meeting = only supports video via oPhoneX
Skype = is available for both Mac and PC
iVisit = is available for both Mac and PC
IRC = Internet Relay Chat = Ircle is available for Mac, not sure what PC
version has, but both support video through a few hoops.
ISPq = is available for PC and Mac.
Talk = is text only and available for PC and Mac
.Mac (also known as dotMac) = is available through iChat for video with AOL Instant Messenger users.

Any protocol which supports video also supports text and audio.

Are any of the words in my above sentence not clear to you as to what they mean?

Msn on Macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.