Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Apple I Phone Sim Card In My Current Phone?

Ok so here is the question. There are days like being at the beach or bike riding that I don't want to carry a $600.00 phone. Can I use the SIM card in the IPhone in any of my current phones Cingular/AT&T phones? I would like some one from Apple or AT & T to answer this. Not a speculating user. Thank You, RJ

IMac Core Duo 2.0 & Macbook Pro Core Duo 2.13 Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jun 29, 2007 8:33 PM

13 replies

Aug 14, 2007 10:31 AM in response to Nikontraveler

RJ, here's what I don't understand . . . you come on here and post a question that was answered very clearly and then you post a message at the end giving a contrary answer.

If you did talk to an At&t rep they gave you the wrong answer . . . period. As previously posted, read the bottom of page 113 in the iPhone manual. Also, I swap my iPhone sim with my Moto Krzr at will with no problems. I use the Moto for the exact reasons in your original post . . . beach, golf etc. I use the Moto for voice and texts . . . no data. If I want data, I use my iPhone.

Aug 14, 2007 1:16 PM in response to Nikontraveler

It may help to understand that in a GSM network, SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card carrys your customer information and the "phone" is not a phone but a "terminal".

The original intent of the design was to make it easy to pop out your SIM card and pop it into another device and then you could use that device for whatever purpose. The original vision for this network was that you could have a phone in your home, another in your car, yet another in your office. When you moved between locations you would pull the SIM card out of whatever device you were using and pop it into the one where you were at and viola! You're communicating.

Also in the early days of GSM and PCS networks "phones" worked on only one radio frequency (850 and 1900Mhz in US and 900 and 1800Mhz in Europe as I recall). So a US customer traveling to the UK back in the early 80's could not use their "phone" but could easily bring their SIM card and pop it into a rented phone in the UK and the network would immediately recognized and authorized that person to use the network with the customer info on the SIM card.

In modern times, many phones (including the iPhone) are "multi-banded", with the iPhone being a quad-band and so there is no need to use different hardware when in most countries (not all however) overseas.

It's probably pretty rare to have to take the SIM card out at all these days. However as others have mentioned, if the terminal/phone is locked to a particular carrier, only that carrier's SIM card will work in the phone. This is a software lock meant to facilitate customer retention.

Better living through Marketing! 😉

Aug 14, 2007 1:25 PM in response to BgiPhone

i don't think he was looking for an explanation for the history of the SIM card and its original intended uses (although the info is good). It is not a rarity for some to swaps SIM's on a regular basis. Has nothing to do with technology or most phones now having quad band capabilities . . . he simply wanted to know if he could put an "iPhone SIM" into another At&t or unlocked phone and use it. Short answer as stated before is "yes".

Aug 14, 2007 1:35 PM in response to mikemj23

I'm really sorry if I sound rude or offend anyone ... but ... geeeeeezzzz ... 12 year olds in Poland know you can swap SIMs between phones as long as the phone doesn't have a SIM LOCK!!!! Which by the way is a software way (maybe a dozen sets on the market has it hardwired) of locking a phone to other mobile providers' SIMs from registering with a network. Which I believe should be broken within few hours from the day iPhone hits Europe, even if its hardware based (Motorola tried the hardware simlock once, which was broken I believe under a week).

Oct 19, 2007 9:30 AM in response to macpiciu

Hello, I have purchase a Iphone from the local market in Dubai UAE, and when i connected it to Itune it told me i need to update the software, Which i did.
After downloading the software into the Iphone the sim card got blocked and the phone needed a passcode to connect to Itune and now i cannot use both. sim card isnt working on my other cellular phone either and the Iphone is useless.
The iphone serial number is 7T737XX8WH8 IMEINO.: 011300008554918 PLEASE Advise me what to do. Do i need a unlocked sim from The original provider?! but where would i ever get one hope i dont have to buy another phone and never update it....

Oct 19, 2007 9:48 AM in response to neochad

Neochad,

Your phone is now damaged (or the slang term: bricked), and Apple will not be able to help you.

Do some Google searching for 'unbricking an iphone' and similar. You may be able to find some help, but it will take some hands-on tinkering to get it back to operational.

PS
This message is bound to be deleted, so I hope you get to read it soon.

Can I use Apple I Phone Sim Card In My Current Phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.