12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2007 5:42 AM by Jason Trindade
selfmadewinter Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
Has anyone roughly kept track of how long it takes to charge the battery to full from dead or almost dead?

Macbook, iPhone 8GB, G4Tibook, iPod 15GB, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • CanWeBowlPlease Level 3 Level 3 (540 points)
    Roughly? Overnight...
  • gcvt Level 4 Level 4 (1,765 points)
    I'm charging off my MacBook Pro from full dead right now. I'll post results when it's finished.

Next time, I'm going to charge off a wall outlet - interested to see if there's any difference.
  • selfmadewinter Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    I was curious to see if there would be a difference between the computer and wall too, right now I have mine plugged into the wall, so ill post my time if I am awake when it finishes
    My experience is that the wall charger goes faster for my phones and iPod. This might be different but I can't imagine why it would be.
    this might be a little off my charge time topic, but has anyone tried a car charger that was originally designed for an ipod?
    UPDATE: it has been a little over a hour since mine has been on the wall charger and I just checked it and it appears to be a little more than 75% full....idk if that is accurate or not, but if it is that is AMAZINGLY quick
  • DanH Level 5 Level 5 (4,370 points)
    USB ports compete for current with other accessories on the computer and some are low power ports anyway. The AC charger gets full current to the iPhone/Pod all the time.

-dan
    Also -

The first charge cycle should take considerably longer than the following ones.
  • txladykat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    i tried charging thruogh my car yesterday, and it wouldnt work. I guess you have to buy the actual iphone car charger.
  • DanH Level 5 Level 5 (4,370 points)
    I have a DICE iPod interface for the stereo in my Audi A3 and it plays iPhone music just fine, the steering wheel controls work to change tracks and it charges -- all after dismissing the "not compatible" warning when I plug it in.

It will not, however, put phone audio through the stereo.

-dan
  • gcvt Level 4 Level 4 (1,765 points)
    Okay, I'm done. I charged off my MacBook Pro while using the computer to surf the web and check email constantly. I also woke & unlocked the phone 3-4 times to make adjustments in Settings.

Charge time was 3 hours 34 minutes. Hmm.
  • Jason Trindade Level 4 Level 4 (2,925 points)
    I'd agree with CanWeBowl... roughly overnight.

The first charge time seems to vary on units and I suspect some had more initial charge (one of ours charged in about an hour the other took about 8 hours on the first charge). The last bit of charging seems to take forever.

I don't mind the length of time to charge because the battery life is really impressive.

I went to the apple store and looked for a longer cable so I could use the phone while talking, even bought a car charger kit that seemed to have a longer cable. In the end the cable was almost as long as the original one.

Why did Apple make the cord so short compared to many other phone cords? Is there a safety reason? The store employees said I could always use an extension USB cable, but I'm wondering if this is a safe idea.

What do other people do so they can charge and talk?