Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't turn my iPod OFF

I never thought turning it off would be a problem. I mean, I've worried about in not turning on, but... In any case, nothing says how to turn your iPod off when it just won't. Has this happened to anyone else? If so (or not), does anyone know how to fix it?

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Just like it was out of the box. Hopefully.

Posted on Jul 1, 2007 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2007 6:20 PM

Hi cybernetic dumbdumb,

There are a few things that you can try with an iPod that fails to turn off successfully.

First of all, be sure that your "Hold" switch isn't turned on (the hold switch is located on the top of your iPod).

Then, after you’ve verified that your iPod’s Hold switch isn’t on, here a few things to try:

-- Reset the iPod. Be sure you're doing it the correct way: Press and hold the Menu and Select (center) buttons together for about 5-10 seconds.

Be sure to also try connecting your iPod to a power source while doing this step, as it can be more effective.

-- Try toggling the Hold switch. Flip the "Hold" switch on your iPod (located on the top) back and forth several times.

If a bit of "regular toggling" doesn't seem to do anything, try this:

1 - Connect your iPod to your computer.

2 - Now begin to rapidly toggle the "Hold" switch back and forth while your iPod is connected.

3 - After you've done that for a little while (for perhaps 15-20 seconds), eject the iPod if needed, then disconnect it from your computer.

-- Try letting your iPod's battery drain out. Use your iPod enough that its battery finally goes completely dead, asking for you to re-charge it.

At this point, connect your iPod to your computer's USB port, or connect it to a charger, and leave it there for a couple of hours.

Now see if your iPod will turn off after trying that.

-- If none of these work, you might want to try Restoring your iPod. Note that this does delete all the contents off the iPod, but often clears up iPod issues you might be facing.

For more info on this process, take a look at this Knowledge Base article:

Restoring iPod to factory settings

I hope you have success with one of those things! 🙂

-Kylene
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2007 6:20 PM in response to cybernetic dumbdumb

Hi cybernetic dumbdumb,

There are a few things that you can try with an iPod that fails to turn off successfully.

First of all, be sure that your "Hold" switch isn't turned on (the hold switch is located on the top of your iPod).

Then, after you’ve verified that your iPod’s Hold switch isn’t on, here a few things to try:

-- Reset the iPod. Be sure you're doing it the correct way: Press and hold the Menu and Select (center) buttons together for about 5-10 seconds.

Be sure to also try connecting your iPod to a power source while doing this step, as it can be more effective.

-- Try toggling the Hold switch. Flip the "Hold" switch on your iPod (located on the top) back and forth several times.

If a bit of "regular toggling" doesn't seem to do anything, try this:

1 - Connect your iPod to your computer.

2 - Now begin to rapidly toggle the "Hold" switch back and forth while your iPod is connected.

3 - After you've done that for a little while (for perhaps 15-20 seconds), eject the iPod if needed, then disconnect it from your computer.

-- Try letting your iPod's battery drain out. Use your iPod enough that its battery finally goes completely dead, asking for you to re-charge it.

At this point, connect your iPod to your computer's USB port, or connect it to a charger, and leave it there for a couple of hours.

Now see if your iPod will turn off after trying that.

-- If none of these work, you might want to try Restoring your iPod. Note that this does delete all the contents off the iPod, but often clears up iPod issues you might be facing.

For more info on this process, take a look at this Knowledge Base article:

Restoring iPod to factory settings

I hope you have success with one of those things! 🙂

-Kylene

I can't turn my iPod OFF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.