Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distorted sound on speaker while listening to music?

This is my problem: While listening to music on iphone (through its speaker), sound is distorted. These are the same files I listen to on my ipod and computers. With headset sound is good, but on its speaker even at the low volume sound is terribly distorted. Is it just my iphone or all of them?

I also have a t-mobile SDA and it has a great speaker compared to iphone. Same song files transferred to iphone, play all distorted. Sometimes my SDA will play music distorted,too, but if I restart the phone, distortion disappears. Same method on iphone doesn't work.

I would like you to check on your iphones and let me know if this is an isolated issue or not. Phone is about a day old and works great otherwise.

Thanks.

Powerbook G4 Titanium, MacBook Pro, PowerMac G5, Mac Mini Mac OS X (10.4.10) Windows PCs, 4gb iPhone

Powerbook G4 Titanium, MacBook Pro, PowerMac G5, Mac Mini Mac OS X (10.4.10) Windows PCs, 4gb iPhone

Posted on Jul 2, 2007 7:11 PM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2007 11:16 PM in response to Atakan

I just noticed something similar to distorted music. Sorta like the speakers clipping because of over saturation. I simply lowered the volume to improve the sound quality at the expensive of amplification. Upon further inspection I noticed that I was only getting MONO audio from the bottom speakers on the iPhone. This is evident since by covering up the left speaker -- when looking at iPhone upright -- I would muffle almost 95% of the sound and by covering up the right one it would make no difference. I thought it might be just the song in question, but testing out all my music gave the same result. I also considered that perhaps my ripped music was not properly compatible with the iPhone audio codec, so I tested an iTunes purchase song to unfortunately get the same behavior. I then laid all my doubts to rest by using the stereo headset and I did in fact get better audio and in stereo format.

I guess the question then becomes, is one of my iPhone speakers defective or is MONO only implemented for the external speakers (to possibly allow for better speakerphone performance)? I checked the user manual and the several posted teardowns of the iPhone on the web (portelligent) to find that in fact the iPhone only has one external speaker (and one mic). You can check page 10 of the user manual:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhoneUserGuide.pdf

So the bottom grills of the device are a bit deceiving suggesting two speakers when in fact it's a speaker and mic combo.

This would explain the audio distortion at the high dB of amplitude that are clipping the speaker...

kinda wack but a small price to pay for perfection, 🙂

Dell Latitude D400 Windows XP Pro Ultralight

Dell Latitude D400 Windows XP Pro Ultralight

Jul 3, 2007 7:59 AM in response to Jennifer Moore

thanks for the replies. After reading Your posts I decided to play with eq,it was off originally. When I chose bass reducer, distortion went away, except a few songs, but I think it has something to do with interference. When my wall unit a/c started working distortion Also went away. I am about 6 foot away from the a/c unit right now. I am writing this post from my iPhone. Its cool. Basically interference and eq settings causing current distortion problems. If you anything else to add feel free, I am curious about your speculations. Thanks to all replied to this post.

Powerbook G4 Titanium, MacBook Pro, PowerMac G5, Mac Mini Mac OS X (10.4.8) Windows PCs

Distorted sound on speaker while listening to music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.