Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and Cisco VPN

Apple PLEASE add support for Cisco VPN. How am I supposed to log on to my school's wifi without Cisco VPN support in iPhone??

PowerBook G4 17 (A1085) 1.5 GHz / 1.5 GB RAM / 128 MB VRAM / 80 GB HD, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2007 7:28 PM

26 replies

Jul 5, 2007 12:10 PM in response to Area 51

Works for me too. We're using the Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator.

I had to configure the VPN server to use the "Base Group" since the iPhone InternetConnect doesn't let you specify the Group Name.

After some configuration changes and testing with InternetConnect on Mac OS X (10.4.10), the VPN Server now accepts connections from the iPhone.

Granted, the password-entry is still messed up (it brings up a numeric keypad instead of an alphanumeric).

-DDV

Jul 13, 2007 11:10 AM in response to DDV

My school's IT people are evil:

"Hello Dominic-

The iPhone is not a supported platform. Currently, there are no plans to support the iPhone on GWireless.

Sincerely,

STS"

GWireless is our wireless network. We use the Cisco VPN client to log in on PCs and Macs. I've tried and tried to get the VPN to work using OS X's VPN client, but no amount of settings-tinkering proved fruitful.

I'd be happy with browser-based authentication at this point!

Someone--Cisco, Apple, GWU––needs to fix this! I understand the need for a secure network in the middle of a city like Washington, but this is maddening.

MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Jul 31, 2007 11:04 AM in response to 20006Dominic

My School has a Cisco VPN and we have the same problem. We cannot configure the iPhone to connect to the VPN. A major problem since I have exchange accounts in my school. when I mailed the school authorities, they said

"It is not guaranteed that the connection will work for your iPhone. The only VPN client we use and support is CISCO and there had not been a release of this client for handheld/mobile devices."

Oh, for a quick update!

Aug 15, 2007 7:48 PM in response to wei

NOTE, the contested issue between Cisco and Apple was that Cisco wanted Apple to support "open interfaces". It was never made clear exactly what those interfaces were, but the point being that Cisco would rather integrate with Apple than compete with Apple.

Cisco does provide a GNU/Linux VPN client and there are open source implementations as well if... Apple would allow (assist!) 3rd parties to develop software for the iPhone.

Aug 28, 2007 2:56 PM in response to DDV

Could you say more about the configuration on the VPN 3000? After setting up the Base Group to have a shared secret and enabling L2TP/IPSEC, I was able to get past the phase 1 negotiation with the iphone client, but according to the VPN server's log, IKE would reject any SA that was configured on the concentrator, from 3DES-MD5 to AES128-SHA. It never even seemed to get to the password phase.

Aug 30, 2007 9:43 AM in response to 20006Dominic

All right, my school posted this notice a while back. I want to let my school know that it's an iPhone...not a bomb. Anyway, the statement:

"The newly released Apple iPhone is a consumer-oriented device and is not designed to function securely inside an enterprise environment. Any GW Faculty or Staff considering its purchase should be aware that it will not, at least in the near term, be supported at GW for work/business use.

ISS will continue to monitor Apple and AT&T's progress with this product roll-out and will revisit supporting the iPhone as the technology matures.

We thank you for your patience as we continue to strive to provide the GW community with safe and secure technology features that meet your daily business needs."

iPhone and Cisco VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.