Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Wont My iMac Stay Asleep?

Hello

I have a 1.6 ghz iMac G5 model.

I've had it for a little over 2 and a half years.

When I put it to sleep, the Hard Drive will start spinning and it will activate the computer again. It just wont stay asleep. I usually like to keep my computer asleep when I'm at work and when I'm sleeping.

Is this from a program that's causing the computer to start, or is it a hardware problem?

I believe my Applecare expires towards the end of November so if there's any maintenance I need I'd like to get it done.

Thank you,
Matthew

iMac G5, iMac DV Mac OS X (10.4.10)

iMac G5, iMac DV, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 3, 2007 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2007 4:33 PM

You may be having the same problem that I am having (see my original post and thread a few pages back). To see if you are, go to System Preferences / Power settings and see if you have the checkbox "Restart after power failure" checked. If you do, uncheck it and try to sleep it. If it simply shuts down then you are experiencing the same problem (mine is at the Apple Store for repair at this time, another story for another time). If it restarts with the box unchecked, you probably have a different problem. In any case, it is most likely a power supply problem which may be covered by Apple's extended repair program. Hope this helps.

17" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 2MB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.10)
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2007 4:33 PM in response to mditullo

You may be having the same problem that I am having (see my original post and thread a few pages back). To see if you are, go to System Preferences / Power settings and see if you have the checkbox "Restart after power failure" checked. If you do, uncheck it and try to sleep it. If it simply shuts down then you are experiencing the same problem (mine is at the Apple Store for repair at this time, another story for another time). If it restarts with the box unchecked, you probably have a different problem. In any case, it is most likely a power supply problem which may be covered by Apple's extended repair program. Hope this helps.

17" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 2MB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Why Wont My iMac Stay Asleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.