Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari menu doesn't work

I have a strange Safari bug... After about a day of using Safari 2.0.4 (the latest stable version), the main Safari menu stops working. I can still pull it down, but selecting anything in it does nothing.

For example, I can pull down the Safari menu and select Quit, but the app doesn't quit. I can pull it down and select Preferences, but no preferences appear.

On the other hand, I can type Cmd-Q and Safari will quit. I can type Cmd-K to toggle pop-up blocking. But selecting any item in the menu doesn't work.

All the other menus work fine. Safari itself also works fine. The application menu in other apps work perfectly.

The problem crops up after about a day or so. If I quit Safari and re-launch, the menu will behave correctly for a while. Then, sometime later, it will stop working. Safari has been doing this for at least a year -- perhaps two.

I have tried trashing Safari's preferences. A Mac Genius suggested installing Safari 3 Beta, then un-installing to restore Safari 2, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

PowerMac G5 Dual Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 15, 2007 10:44 AM

1 reply

Jul 15, 2007 11:53 AM in response to Barry Brown3

This might be worth a try:

Empty Safari's cache (from the Safari menu), then close Safari.

Go to Home/Library/Safari and delete the following files:

form values
download.plist

Then go to Home/Library/Preferences and delete

com.apple.Safari.plist

Start up Safari again, and things should have improved.

Safari has been doing this for at least a year -- perhaps two.

And you never to question it? I have never seen that behaviour.

Safari menu doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.