13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2007 1:53 PM by Christopher Williams1
ajservo1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I preordered the new Chemical Brothers album last week, and it went on sale today. iTunes won't let me access my preorder to download it and keeps replying that it's not available in the US.

Help!

It's aggravating that I spend money on buying songs to "support" the artist when I can't have the music I'm trying to pay for. Why am I bothering to buy the album when I can't download it? I guess next time, it'll be easier to just go find an album somewhere else for free.

20" iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.9)
  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (78,015 points)
    How are you trying to access the preorder?
    Have you checked iTunes menu Store -> Chaeck for purchases?
  • ajservo1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Yep. Because it's listed as a preorder, iTunes doesn't track it like a purchased album and says that I'm up to date on my downloaded purchases.
    I've also tried logging out of itunes, closing the application and logging back in again. Still no changes.
  • samdogmom Level 4 Level 4 (1,705 points)
    Hmmm---maybe you're not aware of the debacle re: the "T.I. vs. T.I.P." pre-order two weeks ago. The bonus item associated with the pre-order was delayed and it took days after the album became available commercially for the pre-order customers to get theirs.

My questions: have you gotten an email from iTunes telling you your Chemical Brothers pre-order is available for download?

Are there bonus items associated with this pre-order download? Do you want these bonus items?

If you got an email--try clicking on the link in the email to download your album.

If you haven't gotten an email and there are bonus items associated with this album--then they aren't available yet and that's the reason for the delay.

Now you've got a big decision. You can cancel your pre-order and download the version currently available on iTunes (sign into your account, find your pre-orders and cancel the Chemical Brothers one).

Or, you can be patient and wait for things to get sorted out. (Check some of the back threads to see how impatient T.I. fans were!)

I know this isn't ideal advice and I'm sure you're eager to get this CD (that's why you pre-ordered it!), but if the bonus items are important--a day or two wait will be worth it, trust me! Otherwise, how will you get these things?
    Apple has 3 separate locations where this album is on sale on their site. The preorder page STILL does not work, but I found a copy of the album, preorder incentive still intact at the following URL.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=257638042&s=14344 1

Thanks for nothing Apple! Next time, I'll just buy it off the international store.
  • cobraToe Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    I am not able to download my pre-order either! Thanks for tracking that link down ajservo1. Call me picky but that link is missing the Digital Book, and I want it. Anyone know why the pre-orders aren't working for this?
    See my response above! The T.I. vs T.I.P. pre-order was a huge debacle. I will try to find a link if you're interested!

On Edit: Here it is--

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4859279&#4859279
  • ele©tro Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I pre-ordered too, and never received the e-mail. I find it hilarious that Apple even suggests the "Check for Purchases" option when it comes to pre-orders. That has never worked for any of my pre-orders. I always have to rely on the e-mail link.

The only pre-order "bonus" is the track "The Rock Drill," which ironically is available to be downloaded as a single track now. Depending on how long the delay is, I may just download the version of the album that comes with the booklet, and decide later whether "The Rock Drill" is worth the extra $1.29...

Powerbook G4   Mac OS X (10.4.10)  
    Well I agree--whenever I've checked for purchases to try to download a pre-order--the check has come up empty. BUT--as I'm closing down this info window, I'm always surprised, because the pre-order download starts spontaneously! So if things are not moving, then the pre-order is not ready for download yet! I am so sorry.

I know it's hard to wait for something when you thought you were before the crowd! Believe me, under the circumstances, I think I'd pay to download the available album and then just accept the fact that I paid $9.99 (or whatever the pre-order costs) for the bonus item(s?).

Oh well, I salute all of you PATIENT itunes customers! What is that saying again?---"Good things come to those who wait!" You've all earned my respect!
  • mistahp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I can be patient and I understand that their may be glitches that iTunes needs to work out for various reasons. But would it be too much to ask that Apple send out an email to those who purchased a pre-ordered album explaining the problem. That way I wouldn't have kept trying different things all day to download my pre-order.
  • Christopher Williams1 Level 1 Level 1 (75 points)
    This was my first pre-order, and looking at previous posts here about pre-order issues, I wish I would have waited.

Part of the incentive to pre-ordering this album, was not only to get the extra tracks but to be able to get the album when it came out. It doesn't make a lot of sense to reward pre-orders with longer wait times.

Apple is great with building systems in everything they do. They have an entire team dedicated to managing these releases, so I find it difficult to believe that managing pre-orders could be that much more complicated than a regular release (especially after a year of offering pre-orders). It doesn't change anything to speculated about Apple's role vs a music company's roll in this specific problem either.

Now, I'm left with wondering if its worth it to wait for my email notification, or if I should cancel and just buy the darn album.

Very frustrating.

PowerBook G4 15 Mac OS X (10.4)
  • Elijahprice Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I am in the same boat as you all. I've only ever pre-ordered 3 things from iTunes now. The T.I. which was discussed above, the new 50 Cent Album which was delayed until the fall (which is understandable, but it would have been nice to be informed of this before rather than after the said release date), and now this Chemical Brothers album.
    Apple you are not giving me a very good experience here
  • Christopher Williams1 Level 1 Level 1 (75 points)
    I got my email notice just a couple minutes ago. And looking at past threads, it appears that having to wait an extra day is not uncommon.

Bummer