Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Using 1.3 GB of RAM!

Does anyone know why Safari is using 1.3 GB of RAM with only one window open? I know if I quit Safari, and then relaunch it, the memory usage will drop down to roughly 45MB, but there seems to be some serious memory leaks, because Safari just eats up the RAM the longer you go without relaunching it...even after you've closed all browser windows...Or is there something wrong with my setup?

PowerMac G5 - Dual 2.7 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 4.5 GB RAM, 512 GB HD

Posted on Jul 18, 2007 7:41 AM

1 reply

Jul 18, 2007 8:44 AM in response to Mark Jenkinson

Hi Mark

Is this happening with any site, or just one? Seems like quite a substantial jump.

These occurrences, called World Leaks, are best reported to the WebKit Open Source group (via the link I posted), and/or to Apple via the Safari Menu>Report Bugs to Apple.

When using Safari, I have seen CPU usage jumps usually from a poorly coded Flash driven site. Saw this much more in Safari 2.0.4 than now in Safari 3 Beta.

And as you posted, quitting/restarting Safari brings the CPU usage down. Sometimes, further steps are necessary, which includes either Logging out, or even a computer restart to free up the RAM.

Safari Using 1.3 GB of RAM!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.