Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

albums and artwork - identifying one album

Hi all,
Love the artwork feature. However, I have noticed that sometimes iTunes sees individual tracks on an album as separate albums. This has happened (so far) when iTunes has discovered an 'incorrect' album artwork and associated it with the album. I have deleted all copies of artwork from each track. I have then assigned the correct artwork to the first track. Sometimes the subsequent tracks appear as the one album, sometimes they just exist as separate albums with no artwork.

I have checked that all the album names are the same, and have even tried to mark some of them as compilations. Some sample albums I am having issues with are
Andrew Lloyd Webber's Premier Collection
The Best of Me (Bryan Adams)

It seems to be when there are various artists, although not all albums with various artists have this problem.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.10), iTunes 7.2

Posted on Jul 18, 2007 10:53 PM

12 replies

Jul 19, 2007 8:05 AM in response to Suzanne Butz

I noticed a similar occurrence where I'd have a single album and have all the information under "Get Info" the same for all of the tracks. I even check the box for "Part of Compilation" so it keeps them together, yet the first track is seen as a separate album (so you see 2 of the same album artwork). just thought I'd give you my 2 cents. If I figure it out I'll post the solution.

Power Mac G4 Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Power Mac G4 Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Jul 20, 2007 5:47 PM in response to Diane Wordsmith

Hi Diane,
Thanks for the suggestion, but that then means that I have 'x' copies of the album cover appearing (where 'x' is the number of separate albums it sees - can be as many as one for each track!).

I actually want iTunes to recognise that it is simply one album. For most of the other albums, simply associating the artwork with the first track is enough: it recognises one album, one artwork and all is fine. When I check through Get Info, it only has the artwork associated with the first track, but because it recognises all the tracks as belonging to the one album it still displays the artwork no matter which track is playing/selected.

And certainly, if there is even a tiny difference in the album name or the artist name associated with the album, then it sees them as separate albums (fair enough). The problem is trying to get it to recognise One album and showing only the one album cover (not an album cover for every track that it sees as a separate album).

Thanks though.

Jul 21, 2007 2:13 AM in response to Diane Wordsmith

Hi Diane,
It is the same whether I view it as a list with covers (grouped by album), ie "Album View" or as a cover flow - ie the two right hand view options. And of course, it is the same if I view it as full screen.

The more I am looking at it and working with it, the more it seems to be an album grouping issue, which really only becomes obvious when I view the covers (and artwork). In straight out List view, it is not at all obvious that it is identifying them as sepearate albums.

As for compilation: all albums with various artists are marked as compilations (now) and it is still not helping some of them. Most intriguing....

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jul 21, 2007 2:34 AM in response to Diane Wordsmith

Hi again Diane,
Ok - looks as though I did not check all of them. I must admit, I had not realised that I had to mark as compilations every track on every album that has different artists. This appears to be working.

I had only marked as compilations those that listed actual 'various artists' or true compilations - not those released as a single album (eg the Bryan Adams one where he also has a couple of guest artists listed).

However now I have one more query: how can I mark all the tracks quickly? Having to go and mark the check box when some of these albums have as many as 28 tracks is taking some time.....lol
Thanks

Jul 21, 2007 4:31 AM in response to Aslan1014

Hi Aslan,
Thanks - that is a much quicker solution. I can at least copy/paste and use the Next button - much quicker than marking as compilations.

I too have unusual artwork downloaded. I am guessing someone has loaded artwork to the database and that is being accessed (just like some track/album info can be incorrect). That is partly how I found this issue in the first place: all of a sudden iTunes found all these album artworks this week - and quite a few of them are incorrect.

Let's hope they are uploading the correct artwork when we replace it - just like with the album/track information - there can be several versions for any album.

Thanks for the help though.

Jul 21, 2007 7:54 AM in response to Suzanne Butz

Hi Suzanne,

I figured it out! After reading what some of these people posted I tried this:

1. Delete the album artwork for the (example: 12 tracks) in the album.

2. Highlight the whole album and select GET INFO

3. Uncheck or set COMPILATION to "NO" and select "OK"

4. Select GET INFO again, reset COMPILATION to "YES" and select "OK"

5. COPY the the correct album artwork to the PASTEBOARD

6. CONTROL-Click (Right-Click) on the album artwork area in the lower-left corner of iTunes (there's a button to make it become viewable) and PASTE the correct artwork there.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.

albums and artwork - identifying one album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.