Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Cross Subnet Netboot Issues

5994 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2007 7:15 AM by Nicholas Shaff RSS
Nicholas Shaff Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 19, 2007 11:25 AM
Hello,

I've been working to set up a netboot and Open Directory server in school district. We have the network segmented into VLANs by campus with different subnets for each. The changes have been made to the router to allow bootp/bsdp (IPHelper address set and relay agent on) to communicate across subnets, but I am still unable to netboot/netinstall across subnets.

Watching the logs on the server when I attempt to, it seems to be communicating partially as seen here:

Jul 19 12:48:37 axposeidon bootpd[1822]: BSDP DISCOVER [en1] 1,0:16:cb:8e:50:a6 NetBoot035 arch=i386 sysid=MacBookPro1,1
Jul 19 12:48:37 axposeidon bootpd[1822]: BSDP OFFER sent [1,0:16:cb:8e:50:a6] pktsize 369
Jul 19 12:48:37 axposeidon bootpd[1822]: BSDP DISCOVER [en1] 1,0:16:cb:8e:50:a6 NetBoot035 arch=i386 sysid=MacBookPro1,1
Jul 19 12:48:37 axposeidon bootpd[1822]: BSDP OFFER sent [1,0:16:cb:8e:50:a6] pktsize 369

Unfortunately it fails to actually boot the machine. Im not positive what's going on but it seems like its sending a response back to the netbooting machine but the machine is not getting it and its resending?

The OS X Server is an Intel Xserve running 10.4.10 (though we've been experiencing this issue since as far back as I've been trying with 10.4.8), the image was created in 10.4.8, and works on the local subnet (including multicast ASR). The booting machine is, as noted above, a Macbook Pro.

As a side note, when booted into the OS, the machines can see the server in the Startup Disk preference pane.

Any suggestions or ideas? Let me know if there's more information I can give that will help.
Xserve - OS X Server 10.4.10, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • Leif Carlsson Level 5 Level 5 (4,950 points)
    Jul 19, 2007 11:29 PM (in response to Nicholas Shaff)
    I'm no netboot expert but since using en1 on the server where is the default gw/router on the server setup, on en0?

Is ipforwarding on (SA NAT config)?

Server is running VLANs?

Are you using LACP to aggregate both en0 and en1?
  • Leif Carlsson Level 5 Level 5 (4,950 points)
    Jul 25, 2007 1:31 PM (in response to Nicholas Shaff)
    If you have the server on both a public IP and on a private IP network you can still only have one default gateway/router (on the public IP network interface).

So do you have only one public IP subnet and only one private?

If you have multiple private IP subnets you need to setup routing (ipforwarding ON in SA NAT config - no NAT - and static routes) in the OS X server so it can reach the other private subnets.

I obviously don't know how your switches are configured but with VLAN settings in the server you can make each ethernet interface belong to a specific VLAN.

If I'm right the Netboot respons is going out the wrong interface and/or doesn't know the way back to the Netboot client.
  • PatGmac Calculating status...
    Jul 26, 2007 4:33 AM (in response to Nicholas Shaff)
    Can you netboot from a Mac that is on the same subnet as your server? This should at least indicate if the netboot setup on the server is working.
    MacBook Pro 15", iMac Core 2 Duo 20", Mac OS X (10.4.10), ACSA, ACTC, ACHDS, A+, Network+, RHCT

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.