Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Joining Panera Bread WiFi (or other free areas)

My iPhone works flawlessly on any standard, free Wifi. But it appears if I try to join a free area that requires a "login" such as Panera, it won't work. No Widgets, No Safari, e-mail, etc. I tried the suggestions on the other posts (open Safari to do the "Login"), but all it does is keep spinning, trying to connect to whatever page I last visited. It doesn't bring up the login page. I know it's not on Panera's end, because my MacBook connects with no issues. Any suggestions? Already tried power off and back on.

Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPod Video, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jul 19, 2007 11:41 AM

9 replies

Jul 19, 2007 11:46 AM in response to OSU-Mac

Weird. Mine works fine when I go to Panera. It even joins the network without asking me (I have that feature turned on, but it doesn't always work. But it works flawlessly in Panera).

Perhaps it has something to do with your local Panera and how they set up their network.

Or is this happening anyplace that requires a login? My Panera doesn't require a log in.

Jul 19, 2007 1:21 PM in response to OSU-Mac

OSU-Mac

I had the same problem with Panera. I believe the problem is that before Panera will let you actually get to the Internet you must accept their terms (as usual) but with the iPhone, you can't easily get to their page because it is not currently cashed in your iPhone. Here is the solution that worked for me:
1) Go into settings and Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi off. (this forces Edge into action)

2) Go to www.Panerabread.com (using Edge) and close all other open windows but that one on your iPhone.

3) Now go back into your settings and reactivate your Wi-Fi.

4) It should ask you if your want to join the Panera network (of course say "yes")

5) Last, refresh the Panara web page and you should be able to answer "yes" to their terms and then connected to the Internet.

-Go Bucks!-

PowerPC G5 Dual 2 Ghz / MBP 2.16 Ghz Core Duo Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Jul 19, 2007 1:46 PM in response to OSU-Mac

Yes, that is what you need to do with a "login" type free wiFi. Also, the first time you hook up it will work, but some wifis have a timeout. If it times out, the login screen will never appear again. Shut off wiFi, go to edge, bring up any web page, then turn WiFi back on and it should come up correctly to allow you to login.

Weird!

Aug 9, 2007 10:29 AM in response to OSU-Mac

I tried this suggestion at the same Panera.... and it still didn't work. Of course, with Edge turned on, I was able to get to the main panerabread.com site, but was still unable to navigate to the "login" page to agree to their terms. So no wifi.

However, at a different panera, with wifi turned on, Safari jumped right to the panera login page and allowed me to get online. Bizarre.

Clearly, every Panera bread is different and difficulty in getting on wifi will vary.

Aug 28, 2007 7:54 AM in response to Turk321

I have a similar problem but it's not limited to Panera Bread. When I am at public spots requiring a web log-in, I sometimes do not get the log-in page. I understand that turning WiFi off temporarily and accessing the page through Edge would work in many situations, but what if you don't know the site's URL?

What's the easiest way of forcing my iPhone to get to the necessary log-in page if I don't know the URL?

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2007 5:41 PM in response to OSU-Mac

I was having this exact problem at work. This is what I did (having wifi enabled the whole time):

1. Closed all open pages and opened a new blank page in safari
2. Went into settings, safari, and cleared cache and cookies
3. Went back to safari, tried to open NOAA.gov
4. Was re-directed to "login" page for the public wifi

This seems to work consistently, although I am not sure why. Hope it works for you too.

Joining Panera Bread WiFi (or other free areas)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.