Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Line-In apparently working, but no audio out

Hi, A similar problem to the below post of "external mike not working", but, well, different.

I'm attempting to start recording some of my old vinyl. I've run a stereo mini-plug into the audio line-in from my stereo amplifier. I've selected the audio line-in on the sound preferences, and I see the signal input levels respond accordingly. BUT, I get no sound output either on internal, or external speakers (through the headphone port)

The signal is from the turntable (or whatever source I choose) through the amplifier Tape 2 REC line to the computer input port, so it is adequately boosted (as evidenced by the signal levels)

Is this normal? What am I doing wrong? AM I missing an additional setting somewhere?

Thanks.

G4 Mac OS X (10.4.10) 1.25MHz Powerbook

G4 Powerbook Mac OS X (10.4.10) 1.25 MHz

Posted on Jul 19, 2007 1:32 PM

2 replies

Jul 21, 2007 10:00 PM in response to Jeff Schuh

Here's the explanation. The audio line input is not connected to the audio output - this i as it should be.

What program are you going to use to record? Whichever program you use should have a setting for where to send the monitor output. In other words, it's the program's responsibility to take the input and send it somewhere for monitoring.

Try fiddling with Garage Band to see how this works.

Audio Line-In apparently working, but no audio out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.