Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDV - is it worth the trouble?

Hello there,

Just trying to wrap my head around something at the moment and I reckon someone here will be clever enough to enlighten me.

I know that 99% of dvd players out there won't play dvds encoded with HDV (that's right, yeah?) but I have access to a high-def camera. Will shooting in high-definition, then encoding in standard definition give me a better picture quality when I export to DVD? Is this even possible?

In a nutshell - If I'm going to make a dvd for use by joe average, should I shoot in high-def if I can and why?

Cheers

mac book pro

Posted on Jul 23, 2007 4:03 AM

6 replies

Jul 23, 2007 7:31 AM in response to pete_schnapps

What camera are you using? I ask because some mid to high end HDV cams have the ability to downconvert in-camera to Standard Def and as such, you can shoot in HDV, downconvert to SD for editing with a straightforward workflow, for output to DVD (and retaining the HDV master tape(s) until such a time when burning to BluRay or HD DVD becomes a more widespread, less expensive and more edit friendly option.

You can currently burn red dye HDDVDs for use in 1 or 2 players currently available.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2778106&#2778106

http://www.macvideo.co.uk/

There is anecdotal evidence that shooting in HDV and downconverting to SD in-camera gives a better image than SD - I believe I heard this from someone using a Sony Z1 or V1, so I can't comment on this in other cams. Perhaps a search elsewhere may reveal more.

Cameras such as the Sony V1 have an HDMI out connector, enabling one to connect the camera directly to an HDMI-in enabled TV, allowing you to directly view any HDV content shot on the V1.

Jul 23, 2007 10:07 AM in response to pete_schnapps

Depending on the level of your business will determine if it is worth the trouble or cost. Some say it works great with FCS1 and FCS2 with newer Mac computers using it natively. If you are someone who will be shooting and editing many projects each year you will need proper HD monitoring equipment and it can be more of an investment than some are willing to invest.
One solid solution for this is the Matrox MXO mated together with a 23"Apple Cinema Display for use with your Mac Book Pro. This investment is about $1800 US dollars and I believe it is the lowest cost you will find for true HD broadcast quality monitoring. This investment is needed for any level of HD monitoring even if you choose another format.

I find HDV is a great acquisition format and I convert HDV to either DVC PRO HD or now to Apple's new ProRez for editing. This is where the additional costs can add up if you want to convert in real time. Depending on the camera and or deck you choose there are options to allow you to convert HDV digitally that I would recommend. A few cameras have an HD-SDI connection and you can feed this into an HD-SDI capture card. With this HD-SDI card you can also monitor to an HD TV set and output to any level of HD decks for broadcast delivery. These cameras and decks cost more money for this Professional convenience. The Sony and JVC have decks that also converts HDV from the HDMI port as an uncompressed HD signal that can be captured with a product from Black Magic "Intensity" or converted with another solution from Convergent Design "Hd-Connect MI" for use with the HD-SDI capture card into FCS2 to what ever codec you need. This Intensity card also allows for monitoring with HDMI monitors.

Here is an example of some of the costs to build a solid HDV camera/deck/editing system.
You won't need all of these devices, just a reference.
Mac Pro =$2499
FCS2 =$1299
23" ACD =$ 899
23" ACD =$ 899
Intensity Pro =$ 350
Matrox MXO =$ 999
AJA Kona LHe =$1599
Extra RAM =$????
Extra Drives =$????
Sony V1U =$4299
Sony M25U =$3200

Good Luck
Z1&V1user

HDV - is it worth the trouble?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.