Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send outgoing mail from any network but my home network

Optimum Online is my ISP and I have a Wireless network using a Netgear router. For some reason I can only send messages when I am within my own wireless network. Whenever I use another network or the AT&T EDGE network I can only receive emails but not send them. All my other apps work fine in other networks or when I have strong EDGE signal.

Anyone else experiencing this?

PowerMac G4 - 1.5GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.3.9), G4 Mac Mini (1.42GHz), 60GB iPod (Photo), iPhone, iPod Suffle

Posted on Jul 23, 2007 10:36 PM

5 replies

Jul 23, 2007 10:44 PM in response to UptownIntellect

If you search the forums you will find a ton of posts on this and some easy fixes.

There is the free Gmail (Google) solution.

For $24 per year there is the AuthSMTP solution.

Most POP e-mail systems will allow you to check mail from anywhere, if you have the right password. However, they will only allow you to send mail when they can verify that you are connected through their system. That way, a spammer can't send millions of e-mails by pretending to be you when they are really in Eastern Europe. So you need an SMTP server who will "vouch" for you.

With Google, you can attach your POP e-mail account to Google and use their server to send your e-mail as well. With AuthSMTP, they will authenticate you and you can send your e-mail from anywhere, even if you are not locally connected. This includes you iPhone, your Laptop, etc.

Can't send outgoing mail from any network but my home network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.