Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Perfect Accessory!

A Verizon Cell Phone!

I love my iPhone for everything except actually making calls. I purchased the iPhone the second day it went on sale and did not port my # from Verizon, and have been carrying my Verizon cell phone around along with me to make calls.

The AT&T service is HORRIBLE in the NYC area. I really wanted to tell Verizon to shove it for turning down the iPhone, but I still need them, because AT&T & Apple, are unable to produce a product that works well as a phone.

I have had more dropped calls, NO SERVICE and failed calls with my iPhone and AT&T in 3 weeks than I have had with Verizon (Multiple Phones) in 5 years.

Apple please help!

Dual 2 G5, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 24, 2007 2:46 AM

10 replies

Jul 24, 2007 5:50 AM in response to Richard Platt

it really all depends on where you are from.

for instance, in texas, verizons network is very limited
but in new york it's almost entirely covered

with at&t new york should have excellent coverage (at least I did when I was in Yonkers a couple weekends ago)

pretty much living in less populated areas will result in less cell phone coverage (why spend the $$ to put up a cell tower when your estimated # of users is 100, when same tower in a city can serve 10,000)

Jul 24, 2007 6:07 AM in response to cderalow

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to see how good coverage was in NYC. I'm a huuuge fan of CDMA based on getting burned by horrible GSM service in the city, especially in buildings. But AT&T has been pretty reliable.

Where I've found that AT&T service fails here, is when you're in a car. Oftentimes, noticeably around midtown, tower handoffs are pretty lousy. While I haven't got a dropped call yet, the signal will drop to one bar/lose EDGE for a minute or so until coming back to full strength. Along with this, if you're on a data connection (trying to buy movie tix on the way to the theater!) it's much slower while moving, unlike my experience with CDMA.

Jul 24, 2007 7:00 AM in response to rmillsnyc

I've had AT&T/Cingular since 1997 in the NYC area and while I had problems before AT&T acquired Cingular, I have to say that I haven't had a single problem since.

I'm also quite surprised with EDGE. It's not as slow as I expected. Being in the city, there's a lot of access to free wi-fi, but when I'm on EDGE, it doesn't drive me nuts.

Jul 24, 2007 2:13 PM in response to vivval

I've used my iPhone now in NYC on two trips, and my coverage there has been terrific from the airport tarmac to throughout the city.

Of course, with ATT/CIngular it has always depended on where you are in town - and it won't work on the subway, inside theatres, or other places that have a lot of metal. It won't work inside some highrises if you don't have a lot of windows. That's the same in Detroit, and Toronto, and Allentown and everywhere else.

Jul 24, 2007 4:52 PM in response to cderalow

Cmon now buuuuddy:) don't knock us people that live in rural areas, thats the reason I switched to at&t(when it was cingular) because its the only carrier that gets a good signal. I have had different carriers in the past, no signal at the house. I currently have a nextel thru work 0 signal at my house, and when the contract on my old phone ran out I did the research and cingular was the only one that had good signal where I live. Even though there is probably less than 1,000 people in a five mile radius.

The Perfect Accessory!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.