Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reverse DNS

Hi, I'm new to using DNS. Anyway, I have an error in my system log saying configured name and reverse DNS name do not match and warns that some services might not work. I haven't had any problems but I would like to get ride of this error and prevent any future complications.

Here is the error file.

servermgrd: servermgr_dns: configured name and reverse DNS name do not match (ns1.example1.com != ns1.example2.com), various services may not function properly - use changeip to repair and/or correct DNS

My server has three entries in its primary zone. All three entries point to the servers public address. It appears that my reverse dns for my first domain example1.com is pointing to my second primary domain, example2.com. All my domain names have the same public ip address, is this really going to cause me problems or should I try and reconfigure my dns and how should I go about doing this.

Thanks

Mac Book, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 26, 2007 11:29 AM

6 replies

Jul 26, 2007 12:21 PM in response to Andbrowny

No they don't match.

My host name is the first zone name listed in my primary zone file, ns1.example.com .

When I type host and then the ip address of my server, I get the dns name of the second zone listed in my primary zone file, ns1.example2.com.

This is similar to my setup
primary name server IP Address
ns1.example.com = 192.168.2.1
ns1.example2.com = 192.168.2.1
ns1.example3.com = 192.168.2.1

Jul 26, 2007 12:37 PM in response to Mango Buzz

What I'd do is make a backup of your settings by going to the settings tab in DNS and clicking and dragging the little icon in the bottom left corner to the desktop, or somewhere safe. Then I'd test if changing the zone transfer and zone recursion check boxes make any difference, checking one at a time. If that doesn't work I'd remove the zones except for the primary zone and run the host/hostname checks again. Hopefully the results will match. If not then you may have to use changeip from the command line.
BTW this is a test environment isn't it?

Reverse DNS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.