8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2007 11:04 PM by Suzanne Butz
Suzanne Butz Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
Hello,
Newbie to GB but have read the Apple GB help info and am stuck.

I recorded a choir session on my iPod. Imported it to iTunes and then tried to burn it to CD. The 1hour29minute session is apparently too large to burn to CD (even though it says it is only 128Mb in size). Even converting the .wav file into an MP3 file did not help.

So, I thought that if I took the recording into GB I could delete all the chit chat and warm up exercises and spaces between the actual singing to reduce the size and then try and burn that. It would be a better recording this way, anyway.

However, now I have dragged the .wav file into GB and am trying to edit the track (I have tried splitting the track and it removes everything other than the place where the pointer is, or cutting parts of the track - no result). The Apple Help file says that I am not able to edit imported audio files (my track is coloured ORANGE which apparently indicates that I am unable to edit it).

I am guessing this is a user problem. Can someone please give me an idea of what I should be doing here. Or, is GB not the appropriate place to try and do this? Maybe it is simply that I am doing something wrong in the first place in trying to burn a CD in iTunes? Although I now would like to delete the extra bits from my track to create a 'clean' recording of the choir's singing.

Any pointers gratefully received. Thanks!

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.10), GarageBand 3.0.4
  • HangTime Level 9 Level 9 (50,215 points)
    you should be able to edit any file you import into GB, however GB is not the best choice for what you are trying to do. use an Audio Editor for, well, editing audio:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html#audioeditors
  • Windham Hillbilly Level 4 Level 4 (1,600 points)
    I agree that if you want to edit a stereo track, use an Audio Editor. Use Audacity, for a free Editor that works well.

If you want to edit it in GarageBand, you can convert your Orange region to a Purple one by holding down Control/Option-G, and clicking anywhere on the Timeline.

WH
  • tito117m Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    what you can do is import the wav file into itunes. then convert it into an mp3 file by going up to advanced and convert selection to mp3. after that, import it once again into GB and edit away.
  • Suzanne Butz Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Hi,
    Thanks for that - I have now spent the weekend learning to use Audacity and it certainly is a better tool for what I was trying to do.

I am a little surprised that this is not an Apple iLife (particularly Garage Band) tool as I would have expected that plenty of people would edit audio files rather than simply create music from scratch.

Anyhow, thanks again. I can now do what I want.
  • HangTime Level 9 Level 9 (50,215 points)
    I am a little surprised that this is not an Apple iLife (particularly Garage Band)
    tool as I would have expected that plenty of people would edit audio files
    rather than simply create music from scratch.

right tool for the right job.

when you write software that does everything, it generally does everything at a mediocre level.

Music Creation tools create music, Audio Editors edit audio.

GB happens to be great at what it is purposed for, workable, not not the best choice, for things for which it wasn't designed to do as a main function.

good luck with Audacity
    Hi Tito,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had already tried converting it to MP3 though, and it is still an Orange (uneditable) file. The suggestion of using a specific audio editor is obviously the best way for me to go: even though it is not as smooth an interface as Apple's iLife products.
  • Windham Hillbilly Level 4 Level 4 (1,600 points)
    (Suzanne, I assume you saw my post earlier in this thread where I told you how to convert those Orange files to Purple. WH)
    Hi Windham,
    I did see that the first time I read your post - and promptly forgot all about it. I will certainly try that as well. Thanks very much.

Suzanne