Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to export Linux display to Mac

I have a Linux system that I am unable to export its display to my Mac mini. I can export it to my G4 PowerBook, but not the mini - I get Unable to Open Display xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0. Firewall is not running and I'm on 10.4.10.
Thoughts?

intel mini, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 17 inch G4 PowerBook

Posted on Jul 26, 2007 4:40 PM

11 replies

Jul 26, 2007 8:27 PM in response to etresoft

Edit the /etc/sshd_config file and put the following at the bottom:

X11Forwarding yes

Then log out of it, and log back in with

ssh -Y name@the.other.computer

The DISPLAY variable will be take care of automatically.

Another thing to try is nomachine which I find much superior to X11 forwarding. You'll have to install the server on your linux machine, and your client on OS X, but it is worth it. (I use the free versions).

Jul 27, 2007 6:55 AM in response to Louis Palladino

If you forward the display with ssh -Y, the setting of variables is all done for you automatically.

eg:

zsh-% ssh -Y wgscott@my.linux.machine
linux.machine-% echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

If you decide to use "nomachine" you need the server software on the remote linux machine, and client software on your mac. Then you can run the whole windowing environment from the linux machine painlessly. It works a lot like vnc, except for whatever reason is much faster and the rendering quality is much better. It took me about a year to try it from when it was recommended to me, because I scoffed at it. I was wrong.

Jul 27, 2007 7:26 AM in response to Bill Scott

thanks for the suggestions, but i think i'm starting to stray away from my real issue. i don't mind exporting my display manually, but i like the -Y flag.

the nomachine stuff sounds nice, but i think it is a bit overboard for me since i do need to export displays from my work (300+ *NIX variants), so i think rolling something like that out when standard X forwarding works fine for me is it a bit too much. plus i don't VPN to my work with the linux machine - only my mac - so running the windowing environment from it really isn't possible.

thanks anyway.

Jul 30, 2007 3:45 PM in response to AMartin

Hi
Thanks for the suggestion but it does not work either. My ssh config is identical on the PowerBook as it is on the Mini. I should probably clarify that I was trying to forward using the standard X protocol - not forwarding back over the SSH tunnel. However, I have found that neither work, which means there is a bigger issue.
Thanks again.

unable to export Linux display to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.