Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo! Mail Doesn't Push

OK, I set-up my existing Yahoo! e-mail account on my iPhone. I didn't get any kind of notification when new mail came in. I expect that's what push is all about, right? I don't think I'm supposed to have to launch the mail app and wait for it to check for new messages over the slow EDGE network constantly all day long. So, I found this post on Mac Forums:

[quote]Here are the steps I used with my existing free yahoo account:

1) on the iphone - main menu-> settings -> mail -> add account -> y! mail -> enter information -> save -> go back to accounts list and select the new account -> advanced -> in the settings (IMAP Path Prefix) enter imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com

2) Make sure the account is on.

3) Sometimes the "push" is within seconds, sometimes it takes a couple minutes. My guess is they're still working on the server from the yahoo side. It's only been active for 5 days, so give it some time.[/quote]

I tried that and my Yahoo! mail still doesn't push. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

By the way, this free Yahoo! account gets a lot of spam. If I upgrade to the Yahoo! Plus e-mail account, will I still be able to get push? Thanks.

PowerMac G5/2x2, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 27, 2007 9:34 AM

8 replies

Jul 27, 2007 9:41 AM in response to Neil2

By the way, this free Yahoo! account gets a lot of spam. If I upgrade to the Yahoo! Plus e-mail account, will I still be able to get push? Thanks.

Yes, push should work with a Plus account as well, but I am not sure you will get any better spam protection. I know, I tried. I am a big advocate of GMail because of its AMAZING spam filters. But GMail doesnt do push.

I prefer pull and no spam instead of spam being pushed on me. Personal preference. 🙂

Jul 28, 2007 1:21 PM in response to Neil2

Neil2,

I just moved my personal email from Cox to Yahoo on June 30 after getting an iPhone and have been doing a lot of tinkering and researching. So, I may be able to help. I've noticed that if I have more than one email account turned on on the iPhone then the "push" doesn't work (i.e., they can be setup, but disabled and it's OK). Also, I am using the Plus account and after 3 weeks have not received one single spam email, not even into the junk folder. So, Yahoo's filters appear to be working great. Lastly, with the Plus account, you can also use POP, so I set that up on my Mac. I'm not positive, but it appeared that if the Mac retreived email using POP, it would mark the email as unread on my iPhone. So, although the message would be there, the number indicator on the Mail icon would disappear.

As far as your quote . . . I don't understand why you're tinkering with the settings. You should just set it up simply using the Y Mail default on iPhone and it works fine. I've read in a few places that you can't simply put in the apple.imap server in the settings because there is some kind of encryption key being exchanged in the background to limit the imap use to iPhones and setting up an "other" account does not establish this type of connection. So, it won't work.

Good luck!

Aug 5, 2007 3:04 PM in response to supermurph

Supermurph said:

"if I have more than one email account turned on on the iPhone then the "push" doesn't work"

Hello, Supermurph.

If that's true, it's a bummer. I wish dot Mac would offer push e-mail. I would pay extra for it if it would work even though I have multiple e-mail accounts active on my phone.

Yahoo! Mail Doesn't Push

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.