Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac internal speaker problem

I have an iMac G5 1.8GHz 17" without isight. I bought it almost 2 years ago. While I was totally convinced that my Mac's internal speaker has died since it's not working for last 8 months. But suddenly from last week it started to 'bong' at the startup. However, it doesn't work after the bong. I mean it makes no sound after loading into the OS. Is it possible to recover this problem and get back my internal speaker? Please help.

Just to let you know, I tried resetting nvram about 6 months ago but it didn't help that time.

iMac G5 [17" 1.8GHz ComboDrive], Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 28, 2007 9:55 AM

12 replies

Jul 30, 2007 3:44 AM in response to MGW

I did AHT long before, when my speaker didn't work for the first time. However, I ran it again and found no error. Also, there is no specific checking for internal speaker in the AHT.
I also noticed that when I boot from the install CD, I find no built-in audio in the system profiler. This is odd, cause from the installed OS, I can see all built-in audio information in the profile. Also, the external speakers work.
I have also done resetting nvram again. But still no luck with the internal speaker.

Jul 30, 2007 9:48 AM in response to DaddyPaycheck

I've used Creative and some non-brand speakers. I am very much mobile. So I can't stick to a single speaker cause it's better to use my friends/relatives speakers when I carry my iMac with me.

Yes, I tried disconnecting everything. No luck. Right now, I am not connected to any device, except keyboard, mouse and lan card :P

iMac internal speaker problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.