You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does DVD Player 4 recognise DTS?

Hopefully this is a quick one to answer.

I am backing up my daughter's DVDs before they are all totally scratched and unreadable. I know my DVD Home Cinema system supports DTS so using DETOX after ripping with MacThe Ripper I am creating movie only files with DTS audio. However when I play the output through DVD Player 4 I get no sound. I do get sound with DVD Player 4 if I select the Dolby AC3 audio. I know I could select both (though this tends to lead to video compression to fit onto a single layer DVD) or go only with AC3 but out of curiosity at the very least I am trying to find out if DTS audio should work with DVD Player 4 (or later versions).

Thanks for any help in advance.

G4 867MHz Quicksilver, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Jul 29, 2007 9:14 AM

11 replies

Aug 11, 2007 9:57 AM in response to Nick Barter

Hi, Nick!

DTS Audio is supported by DVD Player, but your Mac itself isn't natively DTS capable. You'll need to use an attached DTS-capable audio device to get the DTS sound output. Please see the following link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=150891

Apparently, with no DTS device attached, DVD Player attempts to switch to AC3 audio automatically, but you didn't include it on the DVD so you got no sound at all.

Gary

Message was edited by: Majordadusma

Aug 13, 2007 10:23 AM in response to Nick Barter

Nick,

Frankly, I don't know much about iTV so I can't offer any help with it, other than steering you to the iTV section of the Discussions.

I believe that VLC will decode DTS audio and might be able to play back your DTS encoded DVDs.

You might consider a sound card or hardware pass-through device like one of the ones shown here. You'll probably have to modify your sound settings with Audio MIDI Setup (in your Utilities Folder) if you choose the hardware route.

Gary

Message was edited by: Majordadusma

Aug 13, 2007 1:45 PM in response to Majordadusma

Thanks Gary. Interesting article. I hadn't realised the audio in/out ports were optical too. Never really used them.

But anyway my thought process was to wonder whether rather than ripping DVDs and then burning disks to use in my DVD player I could actually just store them on a HDD and stream them (I'm moving house soon and rather than thinking about painting etc. you can see I'm occupying myself with more interesting possibilities!).

So I wasn't really thinking about hardware solutions. I was actually considering upgrading to a MBP soon - maybe when in NYC next week as the £ is so strong - so a sound card upgrade wouldn't work anyway.

Thanks for the help though. I'll get onto the Apple TV forums if I ever get round to it once I'm in the new place.

Nick

Aug 22, 2007 10:53 AM in response to ChrisRR

You're welcome, Chris.

Glad you got what you needed.

DVD2oneX may have been a poor choice for naming the software - it's next to impossible for many to spell correctly. I suppose that DTOX is simpler, though it's rather cryptic and misleading.

Thanks for your kind words, although as for being a "star", it's probably just the reflection from the top of my old, hairless skull... 🙂

Gary

Aug 27, 2007 1:20 PM in response to Majordadusma

Sorry to jump in (so late). I finally got the DVD to send out DTS, but the only way was to hit back chapter after the disc started to play (well actually it produced no sound). Once I hit back chapter, the whole disk plays DTS. If I eject snd start over, I must do the back hitting again.

The disc is Eagles: H ell Freezes Over, DVD player at the latest version.

Does anyone have an idea where the problem may be ?

Aug 29, 2007 8:35 AM in response to Lanny Rosicky

Hi, Lanny!

Is this the original disc? If so, it's indeed strange that this happens. Sounds like a bad IFO file or PGC command encoded to the disc, which is very unlikely... I've come across some anecdotal issues with DVD Audio discs, if it's that type, but I really don't have any meaningful solutions for them that don't involve ripping, which would be an inappropriate discussion here for a commercial, copy protected disc.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Gary

Aug 29, 2007 9:32 AM in response to Majordadusma

Gary,

thanks for your response. Firstly, I can assure you that it is an original disk. I very much agree with you that ripping is an inappropriate discussion topic. The funny part about this Eagle disk is that it plays DTS unprompted on my home theater system - it is just my iMac 24 having problems. I actually have two originals, one region 1 and one region 2 because I now live in Europe. I hesitate to switch my DVD to region 2 and try the other one, because I brought most of my DVDs with me from Canada and want to keep my switch count for emergencies only.

Lanny

Does DVD Player 4 recognise DTS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.