Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eSellerate?

I was just looking through my home folder and found a folder called eSellerate, in my Application Support folder, which I don't remember seeing before. It contains something called EWSMac.framework, which I'm finding aliases for all over the place, including in the computer's Library framework folder. Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at?

InteliMac

Posted on Aug 1, 2007 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2007 9:07 AM

Google says that it is a company that specializes in selling software:

http://www.esellerate.net/

I don't know anything more about it.
9 replies

Aug 1, 2007 9:20 AM in response to dread

eSellerate is used by many different shareware applications to validate registration information.

For example, you purchase shareware program 1 who uses eSellerate as a vendor, that shareware application may use the eSellerate Engine in their program to validate your registration details and discourage pirateing.

In my opinion, given that it allows for unapproved outbound connections from your computer (even if its just to validate registration information) puts it close to the Spyware catagory for me.

Hope this helps,

David

Aug 1, 2007 9:31 AM in response to David in AZ

thanks for the info- my gut told me it was something I did't want on my computer. Now I'm wondering if deleting it will screw things up with whatever program is using it? I have LittleSnitch installed, so I'm not too worried about this thing phoning home; but I'd like to get this thing out of my system

Aug 1, 2007 9:47 AM in response to dread

It is possible if you remove it that programs that use it as a dependency will experience problems.

I'm glad to hear you use LittleSnitch, priceless program. As long as you have that installed you shouldn't have to worry about eSellerate doing anything behind your back so I wouldn't worry much about leaving it.

It is rather inert to be honest, it doesn't draw down anything in the lines of software or ads, just verifys data when requested, I just don't like that idea when it does it without asking me if it is alright.

David

Aug 1, 2007 4:41 PM in response to dread

dread,

By some chance do you use Fetch (ftp) or have installed Vise? I believe eSellerate is used by Fetch to handle the payment details of the software. They most likely are used by other software that you purchase I believe. I hope I am remembering that correctly. I'm using 10.3.9 and searching my HD I only find an eSellerateEngine in a parent folder titled MindVision.

http://www.esellerate.net/esellerate_overview.asp

Not sure how that might help you but wanted to let you know,

littleshoulders 🙂

Aug 1, 2007 5:43 PM in response to littleshoulders

hi, no I don't have either of those programs installed. My guess is it's related to either Edgies or MyMenuDate, as these are the only two shareware programs I've updated lately; I'm pretty sure this eSellerate junk is a recent thing in my system. Unfortunately, unlike on your computer, the eSellerate stuff in my system isn't in a parent folder- it's just there.

Aug 9, 2007 3:00 AM in response to dread

I recently bought a recipe organizer program called "Organized Gourmet", through Walking Soma and eSellerate, and now the EWSMac.framework file is in several different places: Library/ Frameworks; Library/ Application Support/ eSellerate; and Trash. (I THINK it started in the trash - I'm not sure how I would have put it there.)

It actually won't empty from the trash ("can't because it's in use") - right now I'm a little hesitant about force emptying. It's very annoying that this thing shows up and messes with my system, even if in such a (so far) minor way. I guess I'd better learn more about the LittleSnitch (?) program mentioned above.

eSellerate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.