Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell if my Airport card is "bad"?

I can't connect my G5 to my wireless network. I had a geeksquad guy check it out and he said I had a bad airport card. The G5 can recognize the base station via an ethernet cable but can't recognize my network or any others. The card is less than 2 years old.

Is there a hardware code or some other way I can tell the card is bad??

G5

Posted on Aug 3, 2007 9:44 PM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2007 11:24 PM in response to Dan1935

Hello Dan1935. Welcome to the Apple Discussions!

First, verify that your G5 "recognizes" the AirPort Extreme Card, by using System Profiler and note that the card shows up as the Wireless Card Type under AirPort Card. If it does not, then something may be wrong with either the card or the socket on the system board.

If it does, try resetting the PRAM.

If that doesn't work, try resetting the open firmware.
o Start up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command-Option-O-F key combination during startup.
o At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram, and then, press Return.
o At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all, and then, press Return.

How can I tell if my Airport card is "bad"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.