You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone connected to Dell monitor's USB hub

I have a 15" MacBook Pro that I "dock" to a 20" Dell 2005FPW monitor at home and a 24" Dell 2405FPW monitor at work. I typically run in clamshell mode, and my notebook is connected to the onboard USB hub on the monitor. I'm using the iPhone/Bluetooth headset dock.

I know that if my iPhone is connected directly via USB to my MacBook Pro, and it goes sleep, the charge will start to slip on the iPhone.

I'm curious though if I connect my iPhone via the USB hub on the monitor, will the iPhone keep charging, even if my Mac goes to sleep? What are some things I should look for / consider?

Message was edited by: xtophercaa

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), iPhone 8GB v 1.0 and iPhone Bluetooth Headset

Posted on Aug 4, 2007 8:51 PM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2007 10:10 PM in response to xtophercaa

no. I run a similiar setup. When you system goes to sleep, it will only supply minimal power to your USB hub on your dell monitor. Not enough to charge the iPhone. I use the dell hub too when my system is on, and with my pc sleeping or off ( my pc allows for powered USB while turned off), the iphone will not charge properly.

Aug 4, 2007 10:11 PM in response to xtophercaa

no. I run a similiar setup. When you system goes to sleep, it will only supply minimal power to your USB hub on your dell monitor. Not enough to charge the iPhone. I use the dell hub too when my system is on, and with my pc sleeping or off ( my pc allows for powered USB while turned off), the iphone will not charge properly.

iPhone connected to Dell monitor's USB hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.