Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange vibration felt through fingertips when plugged in

In all my years of working in IT, I've never encountered this.

It seems when I rub my fingertips on the lid of the MacBook Pro (only two months old) when the power adapter is plugged in, my fingers feel this weird sensation of vibration -- as though they were brushing against rubber.

But when the laptop is running on battery power alone, the sensation does not occur.

My wife confirmed this so I'm not totally nuts here. I also tried to see what would happen with the battery out but plugged in -- the "problem" persists.

This is clearly some weird electrical problem. Should I be concerned?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 6, 2007 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2007 1:23 AM

Its a grounding issue. If you're using it on battery power or with the three pronged (US) plug that comes with it, it doesnt happen.
18 replies

Aug 7, 2007 7:01 AM in response to schummi2k

I have the very same issue as does a colleague. It is very difficult to ignore and I have to unplug to stop getting distracted. I use a 3 pin plug in the UK so it is not an earthing problem that is being sorted out by using a 3 vs 2 pin electrical connection to live AC.

Apple must be aware of this? Is there a health and safety issue here?

Message was edited by: Andy Tometzki

Aug 7, 2007 8:48 AM in response to eriksr

I do not know if this could be an issue in the long run affecting longevity on HW components. I will run my MBP with the 3-prong (earthed) power cord for the time being. Just in case.

On a different hand, have you guys experienced any Kernel Panics? It seems to be a frequent problem with MBP's and one that has people really mad at Apple.

Sadly, I had my first KP last night.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1066634&tstart=0

Cheers,

Aug 7, 2007 10:04 PM in response to eriksr

Just giving an update here folks: I called Apple support about this and the support person wasn't able to find anything helpful in her troubleshooting database. She called it a "sensory malfunction" which to me is IT speak for "The user thinks something feels wrong and they are probably just being an ***" 🙂

She suggested I take it to the local Genius Bar. I'm going tomorrow, will update as I learn more.

Aug 11, 2007 3:12 PM in response to NMB701159

You're right the universal 3 pin adapter is not earthed (was the one from the travel kit) and I a had changed over the earthed version to my airport express whilst setting up a temp. network whilst on holiday because the reset button on the airport express is in such a difficult position on the casing.

I'll check with my colleague to see if this is also the reason for this. Perhaps there should be a warning on the power supply to make sure you use and earthed plug?

Thanks Andy

Aug 12, 2007 8:22 AM in response to JeremyGower

I've also been having this sensation - although it seems to have developed somewhat recently. I would agree that it is electrical (and probably grounding). I've noticed that if I have at least 2 points of contact (or my whole palm) on the chassis, then I don't feel the "buzz" or "tingling."

I even took battery out, to see if it was some side effect to the machine after having one of those faulty batteries (which was visibly faulty). No change when the new battery was removed.

Helen

Aug 13, 2007 10:16 AM in response to hunga

+I would agree that it is electrical (and probably grounding)+

It is definitely related to a grounding issue: as dvbfilth mentionned, if you use the 3-prong extension cord it disappears.

+I've noticed that if I have at least 2 points of contact (or my whole palm) on the chassis, then I don't feel the "buzz" or "tingling."+

You are right Helen, even touching with one finger only the narrow plastic edge which separates the top case (palm rest area) and the bottom case - without touching either the top case or the bottom case - is enough to get rid of the tingling. This is strange, since plastic is a non conductive material.

Aug 18, 2007 12:37 PM in response to carl wolf

I too had this sensation, the country I lived in has 3 pin plugs everywhere and is grounded. Apple supplied me with the Magsafe adaptor brick with the 2-pin and 3-pin interchangable head. The 3-pin head which is supposedly grounded...gave me the stinging sensation on the left and right side of the edge of the MBP ...but infact if u dare to run your wrist around the edge...in front..where the palm rest is which is nearer to the mouse pad... you will still feel the tingling sensation.

I tried using another 3 pin head which I had for other machines. It is the same thing..I could feel the electrical leak or sensation..and also the rubbing of the fingers across the main area of the laptop around the speakers and the back of the LCD screen has this rubbery feel.

The extension cord with the 3-pin head that connects to the magsafe adaptor solves these problem. But I'm not satisfy that Apple shipped a 3-pin adaptor head for the magsafe brick..which is not grounded. (I suspect if you open the 3-pin adaptor..it is actually a 2 pin with just a plastic 3rd earth pin..where they put it just to allow the adaptor to connect to a normal 3 pin outlet).

Is Apple shipping a "fake" 3-pin adaptor so they can save some money??? And why should one feel this sensation? There should not be an electrical leak anywhere. And especially if one can feel pricking, sharp tingling. I have been shocked by a electrical device before, and it does not feel good-I got shocked even though the appliance was grounded. But the appliance was leaking somewhere else.

I request everyone to write a feedback form to Apple. I will write to my local agency on electrical safety to ask them to check on Apple's latest Macbook Pro to see if Apple had failed in this area. I hope everyone can do the same, so that Apple will look into the matter promptly.

You do not play with static of any kind. Even if it's just a small shock, we never know what that may lead into.

Sep 1, 2007 3:52 PM in response to eriksr

I've had success dealing with this - at least for now. I had been using the AC/DC adapter with only my Swiss 2-prong connector plugged in, unlike my experience in the US where I normally used the additional 3-prong grounded cable.

I went and got the comparable cable for Switzerland, and no more buzzing. This is using the same adapter as before. I'm still not sure why the buzzing developed (it wasn't there when I first came to Switzerland over 6 months ago).

Best of luck to the rest,
H.

Sep 3, 2007 3:58 AM in response to eriksr

As everyone else has mentioned this is just an Earthing problem which will go away if you use a 3 prong plug. Here in India this is a perpetual problem with all electronic stuff (despite using a 3 prong plug sometimes), and having experianced this on a daily basis for the last 15 years, I can honestly say it is neither harmful to the user nor the equipment. It just gives a nice tingling wake up buzz. 🙂

Strange vibration felt through fingertips when plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.