Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring an Existing Website from a .Mac Name to a Personal Domain Name

I presently have several websites running using a .Mac Family Pack - on both the primary account and a subaccount. Given the new iLive'08 and the .Mac upgraded capabilities, I'm anxious to migrate these websites to a personal domain name that I own but have not used. My intent would be to run them all on the primary account. I'm familiar with the WSDomains folder found at User>Library>Application Support>iWeb. (In fact, each website is in a sepparate WSDomains folder.)

I realize that it's early, but I'd hoped that Apple might have outlined as step-by-step process for migrating exhisting websites to a personal domain. To date, all I've found is the reference to starting from scratch. Hopefull, my iLive'08 software, when it arrives, will have information for migrating existing websites. Does anyone have a strategy for accomplishing this? And..., since one of the sites is a blog, how do I accomplish this without loosing the postings to the blog?

Any ideas or suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

G5 Dual 2.3; 2.0GB RAM; X850 XT; 20 Cinema; LaCie Ext. Drives (X4), Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 7, 2007 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2007 3:17 PM

I set mine up. Found the instructions on .mac site. I only transfered one with a Domain registerd with Godaddy. Go to account settings and then click register personal domain.

Hope this helps.

mkj
6 replies

Aug 7, 2007 4:25 PM in response to Camerabug

Wait, so this only works for .mac users? When I saw that this new version has this personal domain feature, I assumed this meant that the application could now publish directly to a spot besides .web on the internet.

The process I go through to update my websites is long and tedious, and I'm sure many others do it as well: I make a small update to my site (sometimes as minor as a typo or a picture change); publish all of my websites to folders, even if I was only modifying one of the websites; run it through iweb enhancer to make the html show up; upload my changes via ftp.

Is there anything that this new version has to offer that would help make the process shorter? Because that's really the only reason why I would upgrade.

Aug 7, 2007 4:56 PM in response to Camerabug

The dotMac site says that I need to use iWeb if I'm going to transfer my dotMac website to a domain name I currently own. Is this really true?

I've been using Dreamweaver for years with dotMac. I'd like to transfer to a personal domain, but this seems to indicate I won't be able to use Dreamweaver if I do. No way will I start using iWeb!

Transferring an Existing Website from a .Mac Name to a Personal Domain Name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.