Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still no soft hyphenation

I was most disappointed to realise, after trying out the trial version, that Pages still has no option for inserting soft hyphens. That lack of features renders Pages virtually useless for those using languages currently unsupported by Pages, such as Finnish. Pages is meant for producing nice-looking fliers and simple DTP products, but how to make a presentable document without the ability to hyphenate?

Even if Pages had language support for Finnish, soft hyphenation would still be useful. I doubt the automatic hyphenation ever works prefectly with all words. And adding the ability to insert soft hyphens would make it less necessary to keep adding support for new languages.

I have given feedback to Apple about this issue many times ever since the publication of iWork '05, but unfortunately of no avail. Without soft hyphenation, Pages remains just a toy, not a tool.

Powerbook 12 G4 1,5 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 8, 2007 12:16 AM

7 replies

Aug 8, 2007 1:09 AM in response to Jyrki Kallio

Yes, Finnish hyphenation would be nice. AppleWorks has had it for years, why not iWork?

There is a Finnish spelling checker, Soikko, that helps a lot but soft hyphens are sorely needed.

I think that I've read somewhere (possibly here) that the reason for this omission is OS X itself, display system doesn's allow soft hyphens. If this is the case, I hope Leopard will remedy this.

Still no soft hyphenation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.