Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canopus ADVC 110 problems

Following advice re video monitoring, I have bought myself a Canopus ADVC110 with which I have a number of issues.

Here's my setup:

Firewire 6pin at the back going to my Firewire drive which goes to my computer (all faults below are the same when I go direct from the converter to the Mac).

Rear S-Video to plasma screen monitor.

Rear analogue RCA outs to amp.
Issues:

1. No throughput on the DV. ie if I plug a camera to the front 4pin Firewire, I can see the pics in FCP, I can control the camera, but I can't get FCP to save the captured file. To do this, I have to unplug the converter and plug the same camera directly to the Mac. I'd rather keep my setup, set up and all connected to my monitor.

2. The S-video output has a latency of a few frames. NB this is not an FCP issue as everything is in sync on the computer screen and both video and audio are leaving Apple's world via the same Firewire output. It's how the video and audio are leaving the analogue outputs of the converter that is the issue. Somewhere in there, the pics are getting delayed.

It's not a monitor problem either, as I've tested this using the VGA output. ie When my plasma screen mirrors my desktop, it does so instantly.

3. The analogue outputs are really noisy. They have a real sizzle. Again, I have tested all the cables and routes (replacing the ADVC110 with an iPod), and found there is no interference in the system until I re-introduce the ADVC110. I have also tried adjusting the DIP switches after powering down.

Has anyone else encountered these problems? I'm awaiting word from Canopus tech support too.

best

Aldo

iBook G4 1.42Ghz PowerPC, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 8, 2007 5:52 AM

6 replies

Aug 9, 2007 5:23 PM in response to Aldo Palumbo

I use several ADVC Units, 55, 100, 110 and all are really useful.
Not sure if I read you right but it reads like you are connecting your camera through the 110. or maybe a daisey chain configuration. 'DON"T".
If you capture from camera, go straight into FW port, only use the 110 from another source, ie. VCR or other video output and if you connect both camera and 110 together you get problems.
Again output to camera via FW and ADVC to other units like VCR.
When using the ADVC there is a time delay between computer monitor and ADVC monitor. It can be anoying, I judt turn it off.
I know it's a pain having to patch and unpatch FW cables but I alternate between camera and ADVC and have never had a problem.
Other FW ports are used up with Ext. Hard Drives.

Aug 12, 2007 12:26 PM in response to bozywaka

Thank you for replying. I'm a bit disappointed in this unit re throughput.

As to the delay, then there was really no point in me buying this unit. I only bought it to feed my client monitor as per the advice of this discussion forum. It's one thing there being a delay between computer and monitor, but it is quite another for the ADVC110's video output to be several frames behind its own audio output. For monitoring, it does seem to be useless.

I think I need to return this unit. Any ideas on which unit will give me useful sync? Seems like I need to buy a camcorder or even a deck.

best

Aldo

Aug 12, 2007 12:45 PM in response to Aldo Palumbo

If you have a DV camera, why do you need the ADVC110? FCP only works with ONE DV device connected and powered. If you're going to use the ADVC110, don't connect the camera ... likewise, if your going to use the camera, don't connect the ADVC110. But if it were me, I'd just connect the camera via Firewire to your Mac, then connect the camera's analog outputs to your TV monitor.

-DH

Aug 12, 2007 1:18 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

I don't have a camcorder just now. I'm thinking I should return the Canopus and spend the money on a camcorder. I have no use for the Canopus that I can see, and it's so noisy. It's not a breakout box at all.

As for having only one DV device connected, using the Canopus as a throughput = having only one DV device connected to my mind. By way of example, if I connect a video camera via Firewire to my external drive and the drive to my computer, that works fine. So I was expecting the same from the Canopus. £200 seemed cheap for a piece of video engineering, but now that I have the unit, it seems very expensive indeed. Too many compromises.

I think I will return it and upgrade to a Sony HDV camcorder. I'm told they play DVCam as well as DV and HDV although Sony doesn't seem to claim as much in their literature.

I wonder if anyone has any hot tips on this.

best

Aldo

Canopus ADVC 110 problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.