Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open Mail.app

This morning when I booted up and launched Mail, I got the message, "Mail cannot update your mailboxes because your home directory is full. You must free up space in your home folder before using Mail. Delete unneeded documents or move documents to another volume." The only option I was presented was "Quit."

Are "home directory" and "home folder" the same thing? Are they on my hard drive and, if so, where? How do I proceed?

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me. I have, what I consider, valuable info in Mail and right now I cannot launch Mail.app.

Thanks,
Frank

PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 8, 2007 8:12 AM

1 reply

Aug 8, 2007 9:25 PM in response to Frank Bendrick

But I did succeed in answering my own questions!

I managed to get Mail up and running. I went to Users/(user name)/Library/Mail, and pulled Mail out onto the desktop. I then rebooted. Mail came right up, sans, of course, all the Mailboxes. The responses I received from the Thunderbird forum, though, gave me enough hints and clues to figure out the puzzle. The responses also convinced me that I really did not want to convert all those Mail.app mailboxes to TB.

BTW, in Apple's recent re-organlzation of their website, the application emlxtomboxconverter, which is supposed to help in the conversion process, has disappeared. The link http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unixopensource/emlxtomboxconverter.html is broken and a search of the Apple sites produced no results.

Frank

Cannot open Mail.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.