Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal makes my MacBook fan go wild

when starting up iCal my MacBook fan stirres up for a couple of minutes and in Activity Monitor I can see it needs more than 95% CPU. Sometimes also SyncServer kicks in taking also all CPU and even more time.

Is this normal? Or is my ical database corrupted. How can it be that a simple background sync is taking so much CPU?

If this is kinda normal I will switch to Google calendar, to avoid the whining of the MacBook.

Looking forward to your response.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 9, 2007 2:26 PM

2 replies

Aug 9, 2007 7:27 PM in response to Community User

I don't always get the whining fan, but once I launch iCal, I can say goodbye to any free system memory. This has been recurring for at least 2 months, and I've been watching Activity Monitor very carefully, and see an absolute connection with iCal and SyncServer. It's very frustrating, 'cause I really want iCal to work, but not at the expense of my (theoretically powerful MacbookPro w/) System memory (2gb).
At the suggestion of my Apple store's "genius," I exported all my calendars, deleted them from iCal, trashed all iCal cache and metadata folders, plists, etc. I then brought in a few calendars one at a time. I purposely avoided any subscribed ones, and let iCal delete alarms. I ran the computer for a few days with only 3 or 4 calendars, and the behavior was a bit better, but still SyncServer was using LOTS of memory.
My console logs are showing lots of lines with "Invalid address property:" warnings (w/ referenced to eddresses that are valid); and "WARNING: BestCalendarDateFromString - can't interpret:"
So, I'm back to wondering: what can I do!?!?!?
(It is slightly comforting to know that someone else is experiencing similar problems. I only hope someone reads this and has a clue as to what's going on and how to solve it.)

iCal makes my MacBook fan go wild

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.