Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipowerweb and outgoing mail server issues

getting my POP account on my iPhone to send mail successfully has proven to be difficult.

why is it that on my old Nokia E61 my incoming and outgoing mail server settings "mail.mydomain.net" worked regardless of whether i was on edge or wifi -- yet on my iPhone the only way i can send email is to turn wifi off, and input "cwmx.com" as my outgoing mail server and send sloooowly over edge?

i guess my question is, what is different about the way the iPhone connects to different servers, if my old phone did not have any issues with it at all - and how can i remedy this? shouldnt it be as simple as sycing the settings from my POP account on my G5? what am i missing here...and is this specific to ipowerweb hosting?

thanks

PowerMac G5, Choose

Posted on Aug 9, 2007 7:49 PM

8 replies

Aug 10, 2007 7:57 AM in response to w7ox

the phone recieves email fine via edge and wifi. why is it only a problem with the outgoing?

in the past its been the same incoming and outgoing. like for instance if my website is "mydomainname.net", then both incoming and outgoing servers are: mail.mydomainname.net.

what i need to know is whats different about the mail apps on the Nokia E61 and the iPhone. as i said, on the E61, i input mail.mydomainname.net for both in and out and regardless of wifi network or edge, it sent mail fine. why, on the iPhone, must use the ATT outgoing server "cwmx.com" while on edge, and on wifi my mail.mydomainname.net wont even work.

fyi i LOVE this phone.. i just need to get to the bottom of this so i can come up with a solution.

thanks

Aug 10, 2007 8:21 AM in response to graphicaliber425

if you are on the edge network your home cable outgoing info wont work, such as smtp.comcast.com. Because u be on da Edge network yo. So u need to use an online outgoing server such as mail.apple.com/mail if u be on apples maol server. Then u need input name/pass

I assume you learned computer science and English from the same person?

It is generally not necessary to be on your ISP's network to connect to their email server. The whole point of email server authentication is so that you can connect and get/send your mail whether you're at home, at Starbucks, at Panera, or in a hotel half way around the world.

Aug 15, 2007 12:37 PM in response to aegez

aegez,

As a point of clarification, if you are going to use Port 25 on EDGE you have to use cwmx.com. Many networks filter port 25 traffic because of port 25 traffic has been abused by people sending unsolicited bulk email (aka spam). AT&T's EDGE network is not the only network to filter port 25.

The iPhone in some situations will try other common ports, many of which will require authentication.

If you are using an outgoing mail server that requires authentication on a port besides port 25 it should work on both WiFi and EDGE in most situations. The exception would be on networks that filter traffic on all ports as a security major, such as some work environments.

This article includes more information on outgoing mail:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305634

This article indlues settings for some ISPs:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306074

Hope this helps,

Nathan C.

ipowerweb and outgoing mail server issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.