Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing PC on network

I have an iMac, a Mac Mini, and a PC running XP. All can access the internet through my wireless router -- not Apple yet, and the Macs can access a printer connected to the iMAC. This is great, BUT...
While the Macs can see each other, they cannot see the PC nor can it see them. There are just too many options for a relative novice, and I am reluctant to change anything on an otherwise great network.
The Macs simply installed themselves, and the printer was easy. Not so the PC. I know I should enable file sharing, but HOW???

imac, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Mini and PC with XP, wireless WLAN

Posted on Aug 10, 2007 8:45 AM

5 replies

Aug 10, 2007 10:18 AM in response to SADON

While the Macs can see each other, they cannot see the PC nor can it see them

There are so many ways that could work (or not, as the case may be), it would be difficult to list them all. The short answer requires more information about your network setup. Posting the IP addresses of each machine would help - at least it would tell if all the machines are in the same subnet, which is going to be the easiest way to make it work.
If you don't feel comfortable posting the IP addresses here (although if you're on a private network it won't matter), check each machine to make sure that all the IP addresses are in the same range - that typically means that the first three numbers match (e.g. 192.168.1.x).

I know I should enable file sharing, but HOW???

On the Mac, System Preferences -> Sharing -> WIndows File Sharing

Aug 10, 2007 9:20 PM in response to Camelot

Go to My computer > My Network Places > Set up a home or small office network

The wizard will guide you through the set up process which is fairly straightforward

You will need to allocate a folder for sharing - the macs should log on to this when you connect

Once that is done (and after a few re-boots of computers, modems & routers) the PC should appear in the Network globe in finder on the Macs

To find the Macs on the PC, go to View Workgroup Computers

All of this assumes that all your computers are set to obtain IP addresses automatically

Accessing PC on network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.