Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MXF - FCP - Avid

In a few weeks I'll be starting a new project. It's first target is transfering Avid MXF media to Final Cut Pro. I've been searching the web for a decent sollution. So far nothing but re-capturing the footage delivers the compatibility I aim for. During my 'quest' on the web I found out that MXF is not such a 'stong' and clear standard like a container format as for instance quicktime. Below you'll find a list of a few of the most used MXF standards.

MXF (Material Exchange Format)
MXF (OP1a) D10 (IMX)
MXF (OP1a) DV25
MXF (OP1a) DV50
MXF (OP1a) DVCProHD
MXF (OP1a) JPEG 2000
MXF (OP1a) MPEG-2 I-frame
MXF (OP1a) MPEG-2 Long GOP
MXF (OPAtom) DV25
MXF (OPAtom) DV50
MXF (OPAtom) DVCProHD
MXF Sony XDCam
MXF Sony XDCam MPEG-4 Proxy
MXF Panasonic P2 HD

I have a little experience on Avid and I am under the impression that when you capture OR import MXF files (think of XDCAM) Avid wil translate those files into MXF OP-Atom (SMPTE 290M). As far as I can tell FCP uses Operational Pattern 1a (SMPTE 378M). Is there anyone with experience on this subject around? (Re-capturing footage is NOT an option)

Cheers

Joost

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 10, 2007 11:20 AM

4 replies

Aug 10, 2007 12:23 PM in response to Shane Ross

Shane, Suzan,

The program you sugested Suzan, besides projects, it focusses on OMF media. My task is to transfer / transcode Avid MXF media to FCP. Doing this through QT (uncompressed) is indeed an option. But for large quantities of footage it wil consume too much time and therefore NOT an option. (I may head this way as a last resort, but I'll end up hiring a lot of equipment and students to finish the job)

I'm looking for a container conversion since the enssence within the MXF container is MPEG D10-30 or MPEG D10-50. The essence IS compatible but the container is not! (MXF OPAtom vs MXF OP1a)

MXF - FCP - Avid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.