Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can't scroll using the arrow keys!!

I have been having a problem lately where I cannot scroll within applications using the up and down arrow keys. on my macbook, using the arrow keys is something i liked to do to scroll in a page instead of using the trackpad, and now it doesn't work... I've noticed it in every web browser installed on the laptop (Safari, Firefox, Camino) and also doesn't work in itunes (making it annoying to easily scroll to another song in the library!) or AIM or other programs... anybody know how I can fix this? thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Aug 10, 2007 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2007 7:09 PM

Hello and Welcome to Apple Discussions!

Full keyboard access is useful for people who have difficulty using a mouse. Safari supports standard full keyboard access shortcuts for buttons and menus. If you choose, you can also use the keyboard to highlight links in webpages.

To turn on full keyboard access:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Keyboard & Mouse.
Click Keyboard Shortcuts.
Select the checkbox to turn on full keyboard access.
To highlight links in webpages using the Tab key:

Choose Safari > Preferences and click Advanced.
Select the option to highlight each item on the web page using the Tab key.
With full keyboard access turned on, Safari uses the standard shortcut keys to access menus and windows, plus the additional shortcuts shown in the table.

Hope this helps!!

Carolyn 🙂
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2007 7:09 PM in response to jesmith5508

Hello and Welcome to Apple Discussions!

Full keyboard access is useful for people who have difficulty using a mouse. Safari supports standard full keyboard access shortcuts for buttons and menus. If you choose, you can also use the keyboard to highlight links in webpages.

To turn on full keyboard access:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Keyboard & Mouse.
Click Keyboard Shortcuts.
Select the checkbox to turn on full keyboard access.
To highlight links in webpages using the Tab key:

Choose Safari > Preferences and click Advanced.
Select the option to highlight each item on the web page using the Tab key.
With full keyboard access turned on, Safari uses the standard shortcut keys to access menus and windows, plus the additional shortcuts shown in the table.

Hope this helps!!

Carolyn 🙂

Aug 10, 2007 9:18 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

that doesn't really help... I don't use safari as my primary browser, I use Camino -- I posted this question on the Camino website forums but because it's affecting every program I use apparently, they said to post it here.

it's not that i need accessibility or anything, i just like being able to select songs in itunes by using the up and down arrow keys, and scrolling in web pages using arrow keys.

this answer posted did not seem to change my inability to use the arrow keys to scroll...

i can't scroll using the arrow keys!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.