Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chinese Character Support for email Subject and Body

I notice that iPhone does not support any Chinese characters in its email interface. I also notice Safari support Chinese character in email Subject line but not in the email body. Is somebody working on Chinese Character display in email interface?
I also notice that contact interface support Chinese Character display very well.

Best

Shuo

Intel Core 2 Dual 2.9Ghz, Windows Vista, Latest ipHone 1.0.1 and Itune 7.3.2.6

Posted on Aug 11, 2007 1:05 PM

12 replies

Aug 11, 2007 2:12 PM in response to Shuo Li

I notice that iPhone does not support any Chinese characters in its email interface.

If you mean that you cannot read the text of emails in Chinese, I suspect that is because these emails fail to follow the required international encoding standards. Are there no emails which display correctly? I can send you tests if you want.

The iPhone mail program currently lacks the ability to manually correct for errors by the sender which is normally possible on a full computer.

I also notice Safari support Chinese character in email Subject line but not in the email body.

This would probably happen because of bad webmail encoding practices by the sender. Surely you can can read normal Chinese webpages without problems, right? Again the iPhone Safari lacks the abililty to correct for sender errors at this stage.

Is somebody working on Chinese Character display in email interface?

I don't know if they will implement corrections for senders that don't follow international standards, if that is the problem. This forum is just other users, so make sure you tell Apple what you want via feedback:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Aug 11, 2007 9:11 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

What I am saying is that I can read no Chinese character anywhere via email interface. With Sofari web browser, I can read the subject line but not the text.
If there is a way of reading email via email interface, I would like to know. How can I send email with Chinese Character to my yahoo account? What email client I want my senders to use? ie. Office Outlook + MS Pinyin IME. How do I do with iPhone differently? In other words, how do people know if their email follow the required inernational encoding standards or not.

If there is a way to send the Simplified Chinese test email to my yahoo account, please do that my email address is shuoli01@yahoo.com, or you can send to shuo.li01@comcast.net as well.

What I noticed is that your contact interface can display Chinese characters just fine. Thanks you for that. But your music interface does not display Chinese song title at all. I hope you are working on that now.

Aug 12, 2007 2:25 PM in response to Shuo Li

Can we expect iPhone to support GB18030?

It should already support all Chinese encodings. If it does not, that is probably a bug.

How about the music display interface? Will it support song title with GB format?

I'm sure that will never happen. Unicode is the global standard for such things.

email address it should be shuo.li01@verizon.net

I am sending three plain text messages there. Let me know which ones display.

Aug 19, 2007 6:32 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Here, these are the links. Hope someone can localize to Traditional Chinese with these authors' permission.

http://iphone.twocupsofcoffee.com/#mail

http://n.h7a.org/iphone/mail/

The latter one seems more practical. This author has also made it possible to Google in Japanese. BTW, the mail supporting thing works this way: You type in using the provided (web-based) keyboard in the appropriate columns (i.e. subject and the other for the text) and execute by choosing the appropriate nominated characters that will appear under the "keyboard". Repeating these steps will eventually compose the text. Hit "Send" on the right upper corner, voila, it activates "compose new mail" on your iPhone.

Try if you like it.

Chinese Character Support for email Subject and Body

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.