6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2007 8:25 PM by Folklorist
Folklorist Level 1 (5 points)
I've never been a big spreadsheet user but I recall being able to intuitively (the only time ever with a MS product) find a way to duplicate a row or column in Excel so that it would replicate the same formulas as the row/column immediately adjacent to it. Can this be done with Numbers?

Example: Say I've got a row that has values across with a Sum Total cell and an Average cell calculated with formulas. I'd like to add other rows below so they inherit the same formulas (referencing cells in the new rows). I'm already getting irritated just thinking about having to assign formulas over and over again with each new row.

I hope I'm just missing something obvious.

CA

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.10), new Numbers user, 1.2 gb ram
  • Mr. Propulsion Level 1 (0 points)
    There is a duplicate command under the Edit Menu item. The short cut is the apple key and "D". However, I have the trial copy and it is grayed out. Meaning it is not working. I have my bought copy arriving next week. Hope this is not grayed out in the bought version. This is a deal breaker. I use this command all the time. They need to fix this right away.
  • darrenv Level 2 (195 points)
    It is definitely grayed out. Feedback.
  • Peggy Level 8 (38,635 points)
    I did a search in Numbers Help for "duplicate." I believe the Duplicate command is for duplicating any objects. You could duplicate a whole table but not columns or rows.

• Folklorist Level 1 (5 points)
    Right, I've seen the Duplicate command but, as Peggy says, it doesn't apply to duplicating rows or columns (with or without formulas).

Still hoping someone can clue this knucklehead in. . . . Hope springs eternal!
  • David Firth Level 2 (415 points)
    I do this all the time in Excel, too.

Try this. Click once on the column heading, i.e. "C" for column C. Hit command-c to copy. Click once on the destination column heading, i.e. "D" for column D. Hit command-v to paste. Seemed to duplicate the column for me, along with formulas.

Works for rows, too.
  • Folklorist Level 1 (5 points)
    Thanks DF! That's great. As I suspected (feared) it was something bald simple and obvious. I appreciate the time you spent posting--it'll save me and others way more time in return.

Cheers.

CA